Just ordered a WA5 LE!!! (pictures and impressions added)
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #91 of 134
great pics. the WA5 is a sweet amp. if i were single-ended, that is probably what i would get. you got the stock version (no upgraded caps/resistors) but with better tubes. is that right.

about how much do those individual crates weigh with everything in it. they look pretty heavy.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #93 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great pics. the WA5 is a sweet amp. if i were single-ended, that is probably what i would get. you got the stock version (no upgraded caps/resistors) but with better tubes. is that right.

about how much do those individual crates weigh with everything in it. they look pretty heavy.

Yep, I went stock with upgraded tubes (I wanted to stay under $3500).

The crates weight 50 lbs each (when filled)! I wouldn't want to pay for overseas shipping on those.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #94 of 134
congrats shellylh... good to see it with the Sophia Princess Mesh 274B all powered up...

enjoy..

Cheers,

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #95 of 134
Night shot (sorry for the sub-prime pictures):

dscf0020gog.jpg

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #96 of 134
Wow! Thread moved to the high-end forum! It is an honor just to know someone who has their thread about their rig moved to the high-end forum.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #97 of 134
Yeah, I didn't know I was allowed in here.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Thread moved to the high-end forum! It is an honor just to know someone who has their thread about their rig moved to the high-end forum.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #98 of 134
The picture looks like a UFO sighting
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #100 of 134
The other pics aren't working anymore!
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #101 of 134
Apr 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #102 of 134
Apr 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #103 of 134
Due to the storm today, our weekly softball game was canceled. This gave me a chance to compare the WA5LE (Sophia Princess Mesh 274B and 300B with Sylvania 6sn7wgta) and SP Extreme (with GEC 6080 and RCA Grey Glass 6sn7gt).

First, let me say that the WA5LE only has about ~30 hours on it so I am sure it will change in the 70 hours or so. Second, I am no expert when it comes to comparing equipment, especially when it comes to putting my thoughts into words (probably why I became a mathematician and not a writer
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Now for my thoughts. I listened to songs from the following albums through a Marantz SA8001. The SA8001 was fed into a Mapletree Line Router. Both amps were connected to the line router. Most of the time, I used the K701. I also listened to the D2000 on a couple of songs.

Sarah McLachlan - Touch
Nirvana - Unplugged
PJ Harvey - Is This Desire
REM - Out of Time
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Radiohead - In Rainbows

[I would have listened to more but the lightning and thunder came back and I so had to unplug my equipment. ]

I started by listening to the Extreme with K701. The first thing I thought was "Dang, this amp really sounds good. Why did I get a new one?" Then I started listening to the Woo and I said to myself "Ah, yes, that is why."

The Extreme is a spectacular amp but the WA5 LE is better. Let me clarify what I mean by this. First, the most obvious difference is the bass. The bass on the Woo has so much more impact. One thing that I loved about the Extreme was how the drums felt so real. It is as if I could really feel them being played in the same room. This is even more true on the Woo.

The sounds of the Woo is so much more engaging. The Woo seems to fill out the space in front of you better than the Extreme, leaving fewer gaps. This makes the music more coherent.

The vocals sound absolutely wonderful on the Woo. The voices are so real and organic sounding. In fact, everything just sounded more alive when listening to the Woo. I would listen to a song on the Extreme always thinking to myself.... this is so good. Then I would switch to the Woo and then feel like the music woke up and came to life. Sometimes I can tune out of not really pay attention to the music. Then there will be some part of the song that I hear, that catches my attention, and I will become aware of the music again. I feel that this is continuously happening when listening to the Woo. There is all this music coming at me, from everywhere, keeping me engaged! For example, I was listening to a song by Sarah McLachlan. I listened to the song on the Extreme and then switched to the Woo. Immediately, I was noticing the finger slide against the strings on the guitar. It sounded like the guitar was right there next to me in the room. I thought to myself, I don't remember hearing this just a minute ago. I went back and listened to that part of the song on the Extreme and it was there, but not as real, not as "live" sounding.

Other things I noted was that the Woo seems to be a little smoother sounding with slightly longer decay on notes. The vocals and music really come to life on it. The Extreme is very very good but the Woo is truly outstanding!!!!

The thunderstorm has now stopped so I can get back to the music (no more comparing for me, I am just going to enjoy the Woo)!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #104 of 134
I can't tell you how much I am lovin' this new amp.... just awesome!!!

I am hoping the bass tones down a bit though. I am using the HD650 now and the bass could be tightened up some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back