Just ordered a WA5 LE!!! (pictures and impressions added)
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #121 of 134
Just wanted to mention that I officially ordered a Woo Audio WA5. Jack said that the build time is between 4-6 weeks. Lets hope it's the former.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, the amp will be stock and I will be going with the Treasure series 300b, 6SN7, and the Sophia 274b's. I asked jack which made more of an impact on the sound, the upgrade or the tubes, and he said the tubes. So, I'm going with upgraded tubes in each socket.

Will be using the HD800 and the K1000(w/Apuresound V3).

Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #122 of 134
Sweet! This is the tube combo Jack was using at CanJam. It sounded awesome with the HD800's.

img1873j.jpg

I did notice that the CV181(6sn7)/300b were a bit of a tight squeeze because of the size of the CV181. Jack said that was ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to mention that I officially ordered a Woo Audio WA5. Jack said that the build time is between 4-6 weeks. Lets hope it's the former.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, the amp will be stock and I will be going with the Treasure series 300b, 6SN7, and the Sophia 274b's. I asked jack which made more of an impact on the sound, the upgrade or the tubes, and he said the tubes. So, I'm going with upgraded tubes in each socket.

Will be using the HD800 and the K1000(w/Apuresound V3).

Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #123 of 134
Boy does that picture make the wait seem longer. lol

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #125 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference in sound between the treasure and the Sophia 300b's?

I'm not sure, I'm sure Jack could give you a better response. All I know is that Jack seemed very insistent about the treasure 300B-Z being one of the best tubes to use with the WA5, he even suggested it over the Sophia.

I've also read pretty good things about the treasure 300B-Z here and elsewhere, so I am going to give it a shot.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #126 of 134
I just want to let you know that my new WA-5 LE is now somewhere on the path across the Atlantic, to the strange country of Norway.
I ordered with the parts upgrade, the ceramic socket upgrade and an Alps Brass attenuator. My choice of tubes are the Emission Labs. (300B/5U4G)
For the 6SN7's I will start with EH gold pins, but will consider NOS's.
Advice in that regard are welcome.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #127 of 134
Cool, welcome to the club! Go TEAM WA5LE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnedr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to let you know that my new WA-5 LE is now somewhere on the path across the Atlantic, to the strange country of Norway.
I ordered with the parts upgrade, the ceramic socket upgrade and an Alps Brass attenuator. My choice of tubes are the Emission Labs. (300B/5U4G)
For the 6SN7's I will start with EH gold pins, but will consider NOS's.
Advice in that regard are welcome.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #128 of 134
the WA5LE is certainly gaining a following. if i were not balanced, this amp would be at the top of my list. i'll have to wait until the fall NY meet to try the HD800 on them.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #130 of 134
SE vs. balanced; I've for sure been following threads regarding this topic. Having not myself compared SE vs. bal. amps at comparable levels, I have no authority here. Obviously the trend is going towards balanced (?), but I doubt there is some "magic" to it. The quality of the parts should matter.
I have taken the chance on good-ol' SE. One day I might regret not going balanced when doing such a big investment, but I suspect that I will be satisfied with my WA-5 LE.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the WA5LE is certainly gaining a following. if i were not balanced, this amp would be at the top of my list. i'll have to wait until the fall NY meet to try the HD800 on them.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #131 of 134
I was working my way to all Balanced at one point. I had the Apache, and the Rudistor RPX-100 at the same time. Even looking at balancing the L3000's. But once I tube rolled the WA5 rectifiers and plugged in the L3000's, my balance journey ended. Sold off the other amps and have been very happy with the WA5 ever since.

Cheers,

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #132 of 134
Has anyone looked at the construction and materials used in the output transformers? In general with SETs, transformer upgrades (not caps and resistors) and to a lesser extent the quality of the wire inside are the place to spend your money.

Can anyone direct me to pics of the Woo SET output transformers?

300B tube sounds good to me with Sylvania Bad Boy and Raytheon Type 1 or 2. I have also tried TSRP, Syl 6SN7W, RCA Grey Glass and clear glass , KenRad, both the grey and black NUs, 7N7 + adaptor, VT-99 + adapter, 1578s, Raytheon and Sylvnia WGTs...and I far prefer these 2 tubes, with the 7N7 also a strong contender.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #133 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone looked at the construction and materials used in the output transformers? In general with SETs, transformer upgrades (not caps and resistors) and to a lesser extent the quality of the wire inside are the place to spend your money.

Can anyone direct me to pics of the Woo SET output transformers?

From the 6 moons website, the Woo 5 transformers brotha.

8.jpg

7.jpg

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #134 of 134
Thanks for the pics. I am surprised that he does not offer output transformer upgrades, but it would be pricey and might exceed the company's capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back