Just ordered a set of 'isonode' anti-vibration feet
Jun 7, 2006 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
Has anybody used these in their system? I've seen a few reviews for Vibrapods, not many for this cheapie alternative.

I ordered one set with the intention of placing below my TT to reduce any stray vibrations, but I do plan on trying them out with other components to see if I can hear a difference.

$12.50USD for a set of 4 with FREE SHIPPING (even to Canada, which is rare for e-tailers) was worth a shot, seeing how vibrapods go for about $6 USD each.

Curious to see how much of an effect these will have on the vinyl, CD, headphone, and home theater rigs.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 11
So I received the IsoNodes yesterday... exactly 2 weeks for shipping to Canada, not bad.

They are smaller than I had imagined, about the same diameter as a dime.

Anyways, I tested them in my modest bedroom system (Early 90's Luxman CD player, Athena ASB2.0, Sonic Impact T-amp). Did not get a good critical listen, but some rough impressions (from my hardly golden ears, might as well been placebo):

- Directly from the (modest) headphone out on the CD player to my SR80s (no Headamp at the moment), sounded like the soundstage opened up slightly, shrilly high's tamed a bit, and more body to the low end.

- With my T-amp and Athenas, I only did one listening test with it, and that is Layla off of Eric Clapton Unplugged. In the middle of the intro riff of the song, there is a foot tapping on the stage that sounds like a dull thud in the bass. Before the Isonodes, I could never hear it at all on my system. However, after I played it again after I put them on, and there it was. Very quiet, but it was there. *Thud, thud, thud* in rhythm.

My dad has a higher end listening rig consisting of a vintage Denon CD player, vintage Luxman preamp/amp, and vintage JBL studio monitors, I would try it there but I've no place to put them. The amp is much too heavy for the limit of the small ones (30lbs), and the preamp and CD player are stacked on top of each other, and the total weight of that is also greater than 30lbs.

I'll try them under my LG 7832 component-upconverting player on movie night and see if it improves anything there.

But yeah, I think they did make a slight difference. Not bad for $12.50. May get a set of the bigger ones for the amps.

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 11
You haven't heard the "thud" before in that Layla track? Those things are doing you a favor then! I can hear them with my HP2, but "feel" the stomping with the Lambda Pros, which digs a bit deeper in the lower freqs.

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by internecine
ahahahhhahhahahhahah

hee hee

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Radioshack sells small, clear, round hard-plastic/rubber feet with adhesive back. These make very nice-sounding footers for most equipment, often sounding better than much more expensive "audiophile" footers.

By accident, Radioshack has come up with footers that are not too big, too soft, too hard, nor sound terrible.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Radioshack sells small, clear, round hard-plastic/rubber feet with adhesive back. These make very nice-sounding footers for most equipment, often sounding better than much more expensive "audiophile" footers.

By accident, Radioshack has come up with footers that are not too big, too soft, too hard, nor sound terrible.

I might have to try these out with my Paradigm Atoms. I'm digging them out of the closet to use with my computer and I need something to isolate them from my desk. How much did you pay for these?

Jun 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I might have to try these out with my Paradigm Atoms. I'm digging them out of the closet to use with my computer and I need something to isolate them from my desk. How much did you pay for these?

I wouldn't use them under speakers as primary feet if you want to isolate the the desk from speaker vibrations. You would need something bigger and more squishy like sorbathane feet, vibrapods, etc.

These little plastic footers cost a few bucks for like 10 of'em, and they do work great between bookshelf speakers and top of speaker stands. The reason I like'm is b/c they are in the "Do no harm" school and impart very little signature of their own like big rubber feet or hard cones can.

BTW, I know Paradigm Atoms. The last thing you want is big rubbery footers b/c they'll exacerbate Atoms' already warm, plummy sound. You should get some cheap aluminum/brass cones and put them on nickel/penny to protect the desk.

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
BTW, I know Paradigm Atoms. The last thing you want is big rubbery footers b/c they'll exacerbate Atoms' already warm, plummy sound. You should get some cheap aluminum/brass cones and put them on nickel/penny to protect the desk.

Point taken. I can pick up a set of those cheap Dayton cones from Partsexpress
tongue.gif
I think they are made out of brass, they should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back