Just ordered a PPX SLAM with RCA and 6sn7
Aug 9, 2005 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I pulled the trigger on my first "home" amp the SLAM and it is going to be a very long 2 1/2 weeks!
eek.gif

I got a lot of recommendations for the HR-2 and GS-1 as well but in the end from all that I've read I think these amps may be a bit more laid back or mellow in their presentation than what I want.

Once I cable upgrade I reck'n I'll be a happy cowboy
biggrin.gif

Ray, Justin and Mikhail were all amazing people to talk to and each of them provided stellar service and answed all my questions. I highly recommend doing business with any of them.

And now for the waiting game
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 23
Congrats on your new amp! 2/12 weeks??????? Piece of cake. Try a year for the first SDS-XLR. Luckily I had my SDS to keep me happy while waiting. Have fun with the new amp.
600smile.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Well I pulled the trigger on my first "home" amp the SLAM

Congrats, good choice.

Quote:

and it is going to be a very long 2 1/2 weeks!
eek.gif

I would be happy with 2 ½ weeks. Between 6 and 8 weeks is what I have in front of me.
frown.gif

Edit: for the Dynamight it was 5 months.

Aug 9, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Mikhail is going to put something together for me which may be the Tung-sol or RCA and Sylvania or some other 6sn7.

I told him I'd like it to be forward, punchy and tight with bold and dynamic vocal presentation yet remain detailed and warm with excellent separation of instruments and layering. I can't wait to hear what he has put together for me
tongue.gif

Any recommendations on interconnects?? Will monsters work?

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
Is there a difference between a PPX3 and a SLAM? I've heard that alot lately, what am I missing?
blink.gif

Yes, a big difference but since I have not heard either you may want to call Mikhail and have him explain
icon10.gif

Price is $715 for the PPX and $799 for the SLAM add $50 for the 6sn7's
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Yes, a big difference but since I have not heard either you may want to call Mikhail and have him explain
icon10.gif

Price is $715 for the PPX and $799 for the SLAM add $50 for the 6sn7's
icon10.gif

gracias!

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
Is there a difference between a PPX3 and a SLAM? I've heard that alot lately, what am I missing?
blink.gif

The PPX3 uses either three 6cg7, or 6sn7 tubes normally. The slam uses one of these tubes for the input (signal) tube and matches it with two 5687 output (power) tubes for a much more powerful and dynamic sound. It also has a variable feedback dial which allows you to adjust feedback to your own taste. I think thats it.
Any one feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong or I left something out.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 23
The slam tubes have double output power than the stock 6sn7's. I currently have a ppx3 as well.

You should be very pleased with your purchase.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 23
congrats! the SLAM sounds very nice (i've heard the original prototype). Mikhail has offered me a very generous price on getting my PPX3 upgraded to the SLAM, and i may very well go for it if i don't get an MPX3 or go electrostatic.

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Congrats on your new amp! 2/12 weeks??????? Piece of cake. Try a year for the first SDS-XLR. Luckily I had my SDS to keep me happy while waiting. Have fun with the new amp.
600smile.gif

I've had to wait 9 months for the provistor phonostage,It's the first one so R&D takes time.

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
I've had to wait 9 months for the provistor phonostage,It's the first one so R&D takes time.

Woh! You're likely to get upgradeidus before you even get it!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back