just ordered a penguin cmoy from ebay, amp experts please help!
Apr 10, 2007 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

legbone

100+ Head-Fier
i ordered a cmoy peguin (mint tin) amp from ebay and paid 50 bucks. since it's only 50 bucks i'm not really worried about quality (supposedly it can handle up to 300 ohms). anyway, i noticed two different versions. one was the opamp 2134 and the other was the opamp 2227. which is better? or is it not a matter of better and a matter of taste? all responses greatly appreciated.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 5
matter of taste...
I could give you my own impressions of each OP amp, but rather than taint your mind I choose to remain silent and let your ears guide you.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

i like both OP amps, though neither is my favorite.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 5
While neither op-amp would be something I'd want to use for driving headphones, I'd use the OPA2134 before I'd use the OPA2227. The 2134 is lower distortion than the 2227 and can damp the load better without dropping slew to unreasonable levels. If you can socket chips in there and have zero soldering skills, I guess you could try ordering an OPA2107 from digikey and that could work alright. I don't see why we don't see more AD8397-based CMoys out there. It's really not *that* hard to make that chip work with a CMoy and it's going to drive headphones a heck of a lot better thanks to an integrated common emitter buffer coupled to an excellent gain stage.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 5
well, i got the 2134. it's only 50 clams. i mainly ordered it for the novelty. i am a huge penguins (hockey fan). good to hear (pardon the pun, it's too easy) that the 2134 is okay. i will probably only use this amp for my vibes so i can't see how i can go wrong. i mean, it would really have to be a piece of **** to not improve the vibes.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 5
I think you'll be happy with them. It certainly is an improvement over nothing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back