Just ordered a Meier PORTA CORDA MkIII
Aug 14, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before my time, but looking back at this old thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ta+corda+mkIII) it seems that
- the MkII had a switch which no-one used which allowed a longer battery life (presumably at a cost in sound quality)
- the MKIII had USB (the non-USB version seems to have been introduced later)

No-one mentions any differences in how it sounds.

Thanks for the link. I've been trying different search phrases and key words for 2 days trying to find something about differences
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't think I can go wrong with Meier product from the sounds of it. Thanks!!

Sorry for the mini hi-jack of your thread, enjoy your MKIII
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 19
So I went by Rat Shack today and they don't seem to have any AC/DC adapters > 15 volts and < 30 volts. They do have a 24V that looked promising but it's AC!! So all beware -- if you bought this one without looking closely at the pkg you could really fry your amp.

Any tips on where to get an appropriate DC adapter in the 24-28V range?

thanks in advance!

John

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 19
Hello John,

Here's the link for the Radio Shack AC adapter that I'm using.

Before I began using the 30 volt option (up from 13.5) I emailed Jan to get his OK. I assume that he looked at the same Radio Shack page as in the link above which I included. He stated that the 30 volts should be fine with a 32 volt as the max IIRC.

I've been using the 30 volts for several months with an estimated 200+ hours of use

When you buy that adapter you get your choice of "Adaptaplug", I recommend bringing the amp into the store to assure a proper fit.

Quote:

So, how are most of you guys setting the internal gain jumpers? I can't get the volume pot past halfway with the SR-60s. Think I'll open it up tonight and try the lower-gain setting.

To be honest I've never changed the gain on my Porta Corda. Because I use mine with my computer 90% of the time I turn it on and set the volume at 1 O'clock using high gain then use the volume control on my laptop or with whichever program I'm using. I don't recall using it on high gain to be a problem when I was using it with IEMs many months ago. If your Porta Corda is like mine then you know how tight the volume knob is. I like it. One thing I hated about my SuperMini IV was the loose and awkward volume wheel, one wrong nudge could spell a painfully loud surprise.(which I did have a somewhat effective tweak for).

Here are some more pics of mine...

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 19
Thanks, GreatDane. Yeah, they had that one at the store but I was nervous about using 30v. I think I read somewhere around here that "Adaptaplug H" was the right size, but you are right, I should bring either the amp or the solderable plug Jan sent, into the store with me. And when connecting the adaptaplug, make sure I get the polarity right!

Thanks for the tips...

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back