Just ordered a Meier PORTA CORDA MkIII
Aug 9, 2007 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sugarinthegourd

100+ Head-Fier
Had been shopping around for awhile for an amp to go between my iPod nano and my Grado SR-60s. My older HD iPod drove the Grados pretty well, but the nano seems to have a less-robust amp.

Anyway, I'm excited about the prospects for this one. Was originally looking at sub-$50 cmoys, then considering Penguin, Headphonia, C&C, etc. You know how it goes. Finally spending a lot more than I had planned but I think it will be worth it and there are recordings I think will benefit from the crossfade circuit.

Have a nice dock line-out cable on the way. I suppose this will all keep me happy till I decide I need an iMod or something with external DAC, and more expensive cans and ...

You know how it goes!

I chose the Porta over the Move as it's a lot cheaper and I really don't need the USB DAC. My PC has a Chaintech AV-710 and I'm really quite happy with the sound I get out of the front panel headphone jack.

Cheers,

John

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 19
hrmm..so they do still sell the Porta Corda even though they have taken it out of their website?

Ahh..didn't check the specials section the last time. 5 left. Hrmm..if my offer for the Move from fellow head-fier doesn't go through might just take the plunge and get a Porta Corda that is if it is still available by that time.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm a Xin fan myself (have a SuperMini III+), but I ordered a Porta Corda III to tide me over until Xin finally sends me my SuperMacro. I like it so much with my Alessandro MS-1s (and HD580s, but not quite as much as the Alessandros), that I am considering canceling my order. It's just that I _love_ rolling opamps with Xin's amps...
I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the PC for Jan's bargain price.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Hopefully it also works well with the HD650s I just ordered!

Must...stop...buying...audio stuff...

Porta Corda works very well with HD 650. Use a 24 volt power supply and it has plenty of power.

I bought a Porta Corda MkIII-USB to hold me over when I was waiting for my Supermini IV. I sold the Supermini and still use the Meier amp often
600smile.gif

IMG_0626.jpg

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by heretical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that pic is sexy
580smile.gif

Would love to try it with my HD650 too. So you sold the Supermini IV? Wasn't it any good with the Senns?

I used the Supermini just for ER4P and never tried using DC boost (??) I guess it's called to increase the power output. When I bought the AE-2 it sounded better to me and can drive anything, it's now what I use with my iPod no matter which can I'm using. When I listen to music on my computer I use the Porta Corda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd
And how about with a battery? Is the improvement with 24v PS audible?

thanks

It's been a while since I used just battery power with HD650 but you should hear the difference fairly easily...not that it'll suck with 9-volt power. A few weeks ago I had the Porta Corda connected to my iPod driving my 250 Ohm DT-880 for some friends and it drove them beautifully using a crappy Energizer Ni-MH rechargeable.

I'm using a Radio Shack 30 volt power supply with my Porta Corda.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 19
Amazing! Sent payment to Jan on Thu 8/9 and it arrived here in Philadelphia just 4 days later, on 8/13 (my birthday no less).

How's that for service? Have just started listening and I imagine it'll take some burn-in but so far it's sounding very nice, even through the crummy head-out of my 2nd gen nano. Will be upgrading that to a 4th gen iMod shortly, and then I hope to achieve earvana.

John

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Dealing with Jan is always a pleasure - shipping is fast and the parcel is always wellpacked.

Congrats with the Porta Corda mkIII - it is a nice little amp.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by heretical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one am not one who raves or is much inspired by Xin amps. Instead I have good feelings about the AE-2, really. My inspirations must be very tuned to the HD650
600smile.gif

Do you own an AE-2? Mine has an estimated 800 hours+ at this point and sounding very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd
Amazing! Sent payment to Jan on Thu 8/9 and it arrived here in Philadelphia just 4 days later, on 8/13 (my birthday no less).

My Porta Corda took an torturous 21 days after payment received but it wasn't Jans fault. 3 weeks is a lot better than 3 months. Happy Birthday!

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 19
Duh...just fixed a typo in my original post...I didn't buy a PORTA CORDA MkII, I bought a MkIII.

So, how are most of you guys setting the internal gain jumpers? I can't get the volume pot past halfway with the SR-60s. Think I'll open it up tonight and try the lower-gain setting.

Quote:

I'm using a Radio Shack 30 volt power supply with my Porta Corda.

Do you have the part number? Did you have to use a plug adapter? And is 30V OK...the documentation that came with the amp says 28V max.

tia,

John

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 19
Does anyone know the differences between the MKII and the MKIII? I was thinking of getting an MKII from the FS forums (maybe!) as my first amp. I've been searching for a while and can't seem to dig it up.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 19
Before my time, but looking back at this old thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ta+corda+mkIII) it seems that
- the MkII had a switch which no-one used which allowed a longer battery life (presumably at a cost in sound quality)
- the MKIII had USB (the non-USB version seems to have been introduced later)

No-one mentions any differences in how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back