Just orded some Westone UM3X - have I made a mistake?
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

steve1979

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

After reading lots of reviews on various headphones I've just taken the plunge and ordered some new Westone UM3X headphones.  I think I've probably made a good choice but since placing the order I can't shake the feeling that I may have made a very expensive mistake.

The reason I chose the UM3X headphones is because I already own some UM1's which I really like alot especially the comfort factor because I do most of my listening while walking to work.  I used to own some Sennheiser CX300's which had a fun and dynamic sound with bloated bass but I much prefir the relaxed, detailed and analytical sound thet the UM1's have.  The only problem with the UM1's is that they have a major lack of bass.  I considered getting some UM2's which apparently sound similar to the UM1's except with more bass which would probley have been perfect but in the end I went for the top of the range UM3X.

Hopefully someone can put my mind a rest a tell me I've not waisted money on them.  Are the UM3X overkill for use with 320kbps MP3's and a Sony A-series Walkman?  Also are there likely to be problems running them as they have a high Impedance of 56 ohms?

Thanks in advance for you advice...

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Used the UM3X paired with Shure Olives running from the Sansa Fuze. Good sound, good sound, I'd enjoy them if I did get them then today =)

Good, well balanced sound, relatively intimate as well with good instrumental separation. You should experiment with tips to see which ones sound the best for you with them as well. With the UM3X, my personal fave tips were the Shure Olives =)

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 8
1. Definitely not overkill, for most people well encoded mp3 is completely transparent at 192kbps, never mind 320 (killer samples are rare).
2. The difference will be large - it's very unlikely that you will not be satisfied.
3. They are on the warm side of neutral and definitely not bass lacking, plus very detailed.
4. There will be no problem driving them with a Sony A-series (impedance is not the only parameter that matters when it comes to driving to a certain volume). I used mine with a Sony S639.

In short, unless you have extremely irrational expectations, you should be pleasantly surprised.

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
The UM3X is a great earphone.  From a musical standpoint, the only real gripe of the product is that it was developed for professional stage use rather than consumer music listening.  Subsequently, the frequency response isn't as balanced as it could be geared.  The Westone 3 is the consumer equivalent.  Preference towards either model varies though as they do offer different things.  In terms of high quality sound, you can't really go wrong with either.  It's more so a frequency response thing.  Regardless, you should be quite impressed.  You might just find yourself doing a little EQing to get it to where you want it though.  That's all.

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Don't worry man, it's just buyer's remorse. You feel regret after spending a lot on a luxury item and wonder if you've made a terrible choice. It's natural. Most of us have been there ;p

Good news is, your doubts will most likely be cleared after you get and hear the UM3x. So just hang in there. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 8
They just arrived this morning and have been listening for about 1 hour now and they sound absolutely bloody fantastic!
etysmile.gif

My first impressions weren't very good though, they're nothing special to look at for a start.  I also managed to slightly damage one of the comply foam tips removing it from the very tight packaging.  The cable is also full of kinks because of the way it has been tightly folded up.  Compared to my old UM1's they are definitely much bigger too and you can see them sticking out of my ears a bit.

OK so that's all the negatives out of the way now, time for the good stuff...  Once they're in my ears I can barely feel I'm waring them and, they are just as comfy as the smaller and lighter UM1's wich is great.  Sound wise they are exceptional in every way.  I don't just hear sounds that I never noticed before but I'm hearing sounds I thought I already knew in a completley new light.  Tight deep bass without any mid bass hump that spoils so many headphones and hifi speakers.  The mid range is exceptionally detailed and just a little bit forward which is the way I like it.  Treble is perfect but it doesn't draw any attention to itself, again just how I like it.  Some people say these IEM's are 'lifeless' but I would describe them more as having an 'effortless' sound. I absolutely love em!

So, they're 3 times more expensive than the UM1's.  Are they 3 times as good?  No, but they are almost twice as good, particually the bass and treble.

Are they worth the money?  Well, no not really, £270 is a silly amount of money to spend on headphones (IMO).

Am I glad I got them?  Absolutely most definitely YES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back