Just need an amp then I can run from this place!
Sep 26, 2006 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
biggrin.gif

I think I've finally found my headphone audio bliss meaning I have the chance of finishing the rig and getting as far away from head-fi as possible and save whats left of my wallet!! heh

So these 05' DT990's are really doing it for me, I upgraded from Sony MDR-7506s and have long been an IEM user, looking for better sound. I've found it in the Beyers, they are smooth and detailed and very musical, not to mention comfortable for hours on end. But they are 250 ohms and DO need an amp. I built a CMoy which drives them nicely for now, but thats a temp solution.

I'll be using it with my iPod video and Echo Indigo DJ soundcard for my laptop so I want something sleek and portable. Budget is $200.

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 16
this should probably be in the amp section.....ooops!

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by upangel180
Can you stretch for a Head five? They seem to pair well together.

Link is at the top of the page.

Needs to be portable. I vote stretch your budget and get Hornet if you want sleek and portable. All the other portables IMO are fairly ugly and a little bulky (with the exception of the Headroom Micro, which is JUST bulky, not ugly). Or, have someone build you a PINT in a nice case.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 16
The hornet looks very nice, and compact too. It's also quite a bit above my budget. :\

Portaphile might be a viable option. Is it significantly larger than the hornet?

Lastly, i almost purchased a PINT board, then one day they just disappeared. I've head many good things about them, but it would just be so darn difficult to find a PCB for one.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
The hornet looks very nice, and compact too. It's also quite a bit above my budget. :\

Portaphile might be a viable option. Is it significantly larger than the hornet?

Lastly, i almost purchased a PINT board, then one day they just disappeared. I've head many good things about them, but it would just be so darn difficult to find a PCB for one.

There's a few already built ones at the amps for sale forum, if I recall.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Or you could take a shot in the dark and try an old receiver just lying around the house. I did that just yesterday(or was it the day before?)anyway, I dragged out an old home theater receiver that, as luck would have it....and I'm sure luck played a major part in it; happens to really like my MS2i(but not the MS-1 nearly as much
blink.gif
go figure. )and is giving my cans a real run for it!!

It's also giving me a little breathing room until I decide on just which amp I do want to buy next. ......Ok; I've decided on the amp, but maybe I'll get my complementary cans first instead of waiting til after the amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you.....uh, or anybody! happens to have an old receiver or stereo amp just lying around, toss it twixt your source and phones and see what happens!! You might just get lucky!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Or you could take a shot in the dark and try an old receiver just lying around the house. I did that just yesterday(or was it the day before?)anyway, I dragged out an old home theater receiver that, as luck would have it....and I'm sure luck played a major part in it; happens to really like my MS2i(but not the MS-1 nearly as much
blink.gif

It's also giving me a little breathing room until I decide on just which amp I do want to buy next. ......Ok; I've decided on the amp, but maybe I'll get my complementary cans first instead of waiting til after the amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you.....uh, or anybody! happens to have an old receiver or stereo amp just lying around, toss it twixt your source and phones and see what happens!! You might just get lucky!!
smily_headphones1.gif

hehe, if only i could carry around a 110VAC power supply with me!
biggrin.gif
Yea, gonna have to be a little more portable than a receiver.

How does sound compare between Hornet and Portaphile V2?

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

No, they're very similar in size. The Portaphile is very good. Check out the Portaphile owners thread in the amp forum.

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

hehe, if only i could carry around a 110VAC power supply with me!
biggrin.gif
Yea, gonna have to be a little more portable than a receiver.

How does sound compare between Hornet and Portaphile V2?

OOPS!! I caught DT990, but missed "portable," ....thatsa ouch!
frown.gif

...one mea culpa to go!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
blink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

My dad has an old Pioneer reciever at home. Maybe I should see how they sound with my cans before I get an amp? But the thing is pretty big and heavy, not ideal for a student on the move
tongue.gif
I think I'd rather have an amp.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
My dad has an old Pioneer reciever at home. Maybe I should see how they sound with my cans before I get an amp? But the thing is pretty big and heavy, not ideal for a student on the move
tongue.gif
I think I'd rather have an amp.
biggrin.gif

I believe you're right. Pulling a wagon or pushing a wheelbarrow can really cramp your style!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back