Just listened to the sr80 and sr225...
Nov 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 39
How do I try them? The only place to get Grados around here is, well, nowhere. And no one near me owns the 225. I have a friend with the 80s, but I'm not sure how well a test with those would transfer to the 225.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #17 of 39
SR325i are better than SR225 in many ways. Better bass, not the quantity only, but the quality plus SR325i sounds more liquid/musical with better high end imagination/feeling.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 39
I have listened to both the SR80 and the SR225 and the difference between them w/ integrated onboard sound card and no amp was apparent but not really worth the difference in price at MSRP. If you plan to upgrade your dac or amp down the line then the 225 might be a better investment. Oh and try to get the 225 used because it's considerably cheaper than new and it pops up in the FS forum every now and then.

You might also want to look into the Alessandro MS1. After listening to all three headphones for a while I'd say the MS1's sound quality is closer to SR225 than SR80 while it's only a few bucks more expensive than SR80. But if you think you'll like the bowls then the price of using the MS1 will be more since it comes with comfy pads instead of the bowls.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 39
go with the 325i, i recently compared the 225 with the 325 (about a week ago), directly from the ipod touch NO AMP. the 325i won hands down, it had better bass imo, and also better differentiation, also the highs were better, i can only imagine how much more it will distance itself from the 225 once an amp is applied into the equation.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 39
325 sounds cleaner than the 225 but it's a bit too aggressive (didnt know that was possible cause i love the in your faceness) the piercing sound causes quite a headache. if you're one of those people who go to live shows in small venues all the time, it probably won't bother you too much and you'll love them. the bass from 225 is my fav from the entire grado line (taut & snappy, very nicely colored), then hp2 (ballsy as hell w/ lots of texture). as far as overall what's better than both sr225 and 325 is the older sr200, but those are very rare.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 39
Going a little bit off topic here but I didn't want to start another thread.
I was planning on buying the SR80 as a present for myself
biggrin.gif
but I read reviews and learned that it has terrible sound leakage; being open air headphones.

Can someone comment on how much leakage there is? I commute to school everyday on the train and also would like to listen to music during lectures. Would it be noticeable if I turned on my music to a really low volume? I would also like to know about the durability of these headphones. Will these survive outdoor weather i.e cold, wet, snowy conditions? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 39
I tried just about every Grado there is at the local dealer, and liked the SR80s best. The caveat here is that I have no desire to deal with amplifiers (I tried, and it's too cumbersome with all the cables).

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #27 of 39
I've had the SR80's for about a year and like to listen in bed. My wife used to complain until she got her own phones so I guess leakage is a minor issue. That aside the 80's are a great product at a reasonable price. No complaints here.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really think these headphones would have garnered the universal acclaim and accolades among audiophiles and critics worldwide if this were true?

No headphone in the world that can claim to have "garnered the universal acclaim and accolades among audiophiles and critics worldwide". Not even the Edition 9. And especially not the Grados, which has more than it share of haters.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 39
I think as many others do that the 225's are a great value in the grado line. They handily beat the 80's in my opinion, but I still want an rs phone!

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No headphone in the world that can claim to have "garnered the universal acclaim and accolades among audiophiles and critics worldwide". Not even the Edition 9. And especially not the Grados, which has more than it share of haters.

I think you're missing the point (and not placing this statement in context). What I said was in response to the unqualified (and stated almost factually) claim that the 325i's were "harsh and sibilant." They are not. Some may not be comfortable with their sound signature, and that's fine. But they are critically acclaimed headphones. That obviously doesn't mean that everyone loves them. That would be ludicrous. Whether or not they suit a particular individual's preference is up to them. But they are highly regarded--yes, worldwide--and don't deserve the harsh and sibilant generalization that was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back