Just left my cd player on pause for a day...
Aug 20, 2004 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mr man

Head-Fier
On accident, of course. Has something similar happened to anyone else? I'm curious as to whether doing something like this significantly decreases the lifespan of a cd player. It's a Tosh 3950, btw. Thanks.

Aug 20, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
It adds wear to the motor that spins the disc and to the laser pickup, however, unless you plan on having that player for 10+ years it shouldn't make any difference in it's useful lifespan.

Aug 20, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 12
It cant be any harder on the player than letting them play for ten days non-stop for burn in, which is how long I let mine play whenever I get new ones.

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
It cant be any harder on the player than letting them play for ten days non-stop for burn in, which is how long I let mine play whenever I get new ones.

I would have thought that a tuner would be better for burn in, since it would use no moving parts.

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 12
I think he means...burning in the CD player, not using it to burn-in other components.

Aug 21, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

holycrap ! 10 days !
usually when i get new stuff, i would get so paranoid of damaging it and caring for it like a baby... even playing it for 5 hours nonstop would worry me that i might have "over-used" or overheat the player.... hehehe...
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I think he means...burning in the CD player, not using it to burn-in other components.

This is what I was talking about. Hows the Cary?

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

This is what I was talking about. Hows the Cary?

Tom...The Cary's so good, that I sold the BAT. Not that the BAT was inferior, it's just that I needed some money for a LP12, and in multi-hour long hearing comparisons, the Cary had the edge.

Aug 21, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Tom...The Cary's so good, that I sold the BAT. Not that the BAT was inferior, it's just that I needed some money for a LP12, and in multi-hour long hearing comparisons, the Cary had the edge.

I was going to sell mine(Cary) but it has found a place in my heart. I have also added a vinyl system to go along with it.
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I was going to sell mine(Cary) but it has found a place in my heart. I have also added a vinyl system to go along with it.
icon10.gif

Wise choice. Your Cary rocks.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back