(Just launched) Apogee Duet 2
Mar 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

crumpler

500+ Head-Fier

Apogee Duet 2 here!

Any thoughts? I'm just happy they finally made the switch to USB and it does look pretty snazzy to boot.

Any Mac users jumping aboard the bandwagon?

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 70
I just bought a used original duet about a month ago... I hope it's not a big jump in playback quality that will make me try to sell the one I have.

Edit: well.. It probably is that much better but not worth switching for that price compared to what I paid.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 70
I am getting one. And a new MacBook air.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 70
hubba hubba!

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 70
It is BUS Powered.  I liked the original a lot.  I may get this one when it hits the streets.  I have the Mini DAC for bed side use, but this one is much simpler.  

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 70
What? they drop firewire and go with USB 2.0, this makes no sense, this will cripple it's performance
confused_face%281%29.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 70
I don't think that bandwidth is really an issue . . . assuming you can find a dedicated USB channel to plug into. As the name suggests, you can only record two inputs anyway. I wonder about only getting 5V (versus FireWire's 12V), but I'm sure Apogee wouldn't have gone with USB 2.0 if this was an issue. Apogee aren't exactly babe's in the woods when it comes to audio . . .
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 70
Duet 2 comes with a DC adapter. I wonder if that will really give more power to drive headphones or for other purposes. Although that makes it "less" transportable, but at least it's nice to have the option when you need more power.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 70

Quote:
I don't think that bandwidth is really an issue . . . assuming you can find a dedicated USB channel to plug into. As the name suggests, you can only record two inputs anyway. I wonder about only getting 5V (versus FireWire's 12V), but I'm sure Apogee wouldn't have gone with USB 2.0 if this was an issue. Apogee aren't exactly babe's in the woods when it comes to audio . . .
wink.gif

Bandwidth is no issue no, but USB 2.0 is half duplex while firewire is full duplex, this enables firewire to send and receive data simultaneously.
This makes firewire more efficient, especially with multichannel audio.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:
Bandwidth is no issue no, but USB 2.0 is half duplex while firewire is full duplex, this enables firewire to send and receive data simultaneously.
This makes firewire more efficient, especially with multichannel audio.

I can see being more comfortable recording over FireWire, but for use as a DAC? Maybe I under-appreciate my Duet . . .
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back