Just joined today. Advice on new set needed. Thanks in advance!
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

michaeljohnr

New Head-Fier
Hi - New member here.

I have been searching and reading the site for about a week.

What I currently own: Grado SR60 (NOT the new "i" version.) I have owned them for many years.

What I am looking for: Something with a bit more bass that retains the Grado tone I enjoy.  I am definitely not a bass head and am open to new manufacturers. 

The type of music I listen to: EXTREMELY eclectic.  Anything from Lyle Lovett to Marillion to Opera.  Basically I listen to anything but speed metal.

Of course I was looking at stepping up in the Grado line, but wanted some opinions from others who I am sure have gone through the same thing.

A co-worker let me listen to his Grado RS1's and they were incredible but out of my range price wise.

Open back or closed back is unimportant, although from what I read, open backs have a better presentation?

The use these would be getting is what I would describe as "all around and everywhere."  I have never really used them on the street, but it's a possibility. I have in ears for exercising and top sound quality is sort of secondary when I'm running or out cutting the grass.  Those are more utilitarian over tone. I am concentrating oh regular headphones right now.

Price limitations?  Let's start at $150 and see what comes up?

As an aside, I am not using any amp currently.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Nothing will sound like a grado. I'd recommend the sony mdr ma900. It's $180 but its in the same league as headphones more then 2x its price, like the hd650, and he400. The ma900 also does not need an amp at all.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 7
You can probably find a Sennheiser HD25-1 II for around 150$ if you are willing to buy online or go second hand. They are indestructible so you can probably buy a very good second-hand pair. I'd say that in your price range, they are your best option for the sound you are looking for. They have bigger bass than the Grados but are also quite bright and harsh in the upper mids and treble, like a Grado. Actually, they are not nearly as harsh as a Grado, but harsh relative to most Sennheiser headphones.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply though I take it you are not really a Grado fan.

Actually I had a listen to a friends RS1i's and they were not even near anything I would call harsh or bright.

The $150 was a starting point, not the ceiling. I'd say $225 max.

I was looking at the following:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 660

Opinions for better or worse?

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Actually I had a listen to a friends RS1i's and they were not even near anything I would call harsh or bright.

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 660

The Sennheisers are very nice. I tried them at the meet 2 weeks ago and was quite impressed. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 660

Well, the RS1 is indeed not as harsh as the Prestige line, but it is also much more expensive... In the price range you gave in the OP, the HD25-1 II is still IMO the most similar to a Grado, although their sound signature is more V-shaped than the typical Grado sound. Just as bright though, and nearly as harsh. If you don't mind the harshness of the Grados, you will certainly not have any issues with the Sennheiser's harshness. The HD25 is also similar to a Grado in that it is on-ear and has no sound-stage to speak of. BTW I actually love the HD25, it has its issues (harshness, soundstage) but the overall experience is fantastic.

The ATH-M50 is even more V-shaped than the HD25 and not as bright, but the two headphones actually sound fairly similar to my ears.

DT660 is not really in the same league, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back