Just installed ESI Juli@, have channel imbalance issue
Feb 2, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
I just received a "barely used" ESI Juli@ sound card from eBay. It sounds phenomenal, but there is a 0.4-0.5dB channel imbalance. I was doing back to back comparisons with my Sonica, and noticed the imbalance. The left channel is the louder one. I measured the imbalance by hooking up the output of the Juli@ to the input of my onboard audio, playing a test tone in Foobar, and monitoring using SoundForge. In the Juli@ control panel, I can adjust the left channel down by 0.5dB, and the difference drops to between 0.2 and 0.3dB.

Question is, what could cause this? I've tried using ASIO, DirectSound, waveOut, etc. I've also tried different latencies, and also different sound card drivers. I think the problem is probably in the hardware, and I'll have to get my electronics friend to check it out. In the meantime, has anyone had an issue like this on the Juli@(or any similar sound card?)

On a sidenote, I really like the way it sounds! The noise floor is so much lower compared to the Sonica, and it seems a good bit more detailed as well. Both cards use AKM DACs, so they share a similar signature, but the Juli@ is in another league for sure. It really shows great promise for modding, and I can't wait to get those 4580 opamps out of there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back