Just installed Chaintech AV-710 but can't get any sound...help!?
Sep 20, 2004 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
I put my new PC together less than 48 hours ago and have been trying to get this card to work ever since. It's an Athlon 64 3400+ with an nForce3 250GB motherboard. The mobo has onboard sound but of course I didn't install the drivers because I was planning on using the AV-710, so the onboard sound is still showing up as an unknown device in Device Manager (which is a good thing).

I installed the drivers and the card is recognized everywhere that it should be; I just can't get any sound from it. I have Foobar and Winamp installed and when I load up an MP3, it'll show the file playing but no sound comes out. First I tried hooking my headphones up to the hi-rez output and when I couldn't get any sound that way, I hooked my PC speakers up to the regular outputs just to see if I could get any sound that way. Nada. The card shows up fine in Device Manager and is listed as the primary sound device. I've double checked my volume controls to make sure nothing is set to "Mute." Unless the card is bad, it must be something simple...I just can't figure out what I'm missing. I've never had this kind of problem before; usually a card works fine after you install the drivers and reboot.

I was hoping here could possibly think of something I haven't checked or perhaps someone else has had this problem. I'm itching to listen to some music! Help me get this working before I have to resort to onboard sound or stick my Audigy 2 back in!
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Hmm....did you make sure the output method in Foobar is the chaintech? Also, before you try to get ks or asio4all working, try directsound or waveout.

btw, which drivers you using?

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 12
OK, just checked Foobar and tried setting the Output as waveOut AND DirectSound. Neither one worked.

Right now I am using the drivers off of the CD (not sure which version they are). First I tried using the newest drivers off of Chaintech's site (I think there was a thread on them...5.10 maybe?) and those didn't work so I resorted to the ones off of the CD just to eliminate the possibility of the first drivers being buggy.

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Have you played around with all the slider controls on audio deck? The slider control scrolls left to reveal more sliders (3.24a); just in case you did not notice the left/right scroller bar at bottom. I made that mistake initially.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Hello all, I'm new here and thought I could share my similar experience and fix.

Have you checked the jumpers on your AV-710? Last week I received mine from NewEgg and it also would not make a sound. After examining the card I noticed both the output and subwoofer/center jumpers came set in the 1-2 position rather than the 2-3 position as can be seen in the photos on the NewEgg site. As soon as I reset the jumpers wonderful sounds began to emanate from my Grado SR60s.

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
OK, just checked Foobar and tried setting the Output as waveOut AND DirectSound. Neither one worked.

Right now I am using the drivers off of the CD (not sure which version they are). .

That's your problem right there. The drivers on the CD suck (they're a very old which doesn't support the high sample rate mode). You should use either the 3.24's that can be found under the Envy24HT-S drivers section at www.viaarena.com

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
That's your problem right there. The drivers on the CD suck (they're a very old which doesn't support the high sample rate mode). You should use either the 3.24's that can be found under the Envy24HT-S drivers section at www.viaarena.com

Well like I said, first I did skip the CD and I tried the drivers off of the Chaintech site. Those didn't work so I resorted to the CD drivers thinking they might be more stable since they are older.

Besides, even if the drivers on the CD suck, they should still allow me to hear something, if even from the regular (crappy) outputs. Right now I'm not getting any sound from any of the outputs. I'm going to check those jumpers when I get home...

Sep 21, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 12
The Chaintech website has out of date drivers, and from the sounds of it you installed the wrong ones anyways. You need to go directly to Via's website (not Chaintech's) and download the drivers for the Envy24HT-S from there.

Sep 21, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The Chaintech website has out of date drivers, and from the sounds of it you installed the wrong ones anyways. You need to go directly to Via's website (not Chaintech's) and download the drivers for the Envy24HT-S from there.

Going to do that now...I'll report back in a few.

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 12
Sounds like a software problem within windows than the actual sound card. Or try installing at diff. slots maybe? reinstall driver? did the onboard sound give out sound? heck, i see u might need few hours just messing with possible hypothesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back