Just how much headphones can take?
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
So, I would like to know: how much time a headphones can take in a *full-volume before they fry?

*Full Volume: Vey, very extremely volume.
In my case: full volume on 40ohm cans, through ASUS Xonar STX II on Extra High Gain (for 600ohm).

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
So, I would like to know: how much time a headphones can take in a *full-volume before they fry?

*Full Volume: Vey, very extremely volume.
In my case: full volume on 40ohm cans, through ASUS Xonar STX II on Extra High Gain (for 600ohm).

That actually heavily depends on the headphone, some headphones can take extreme abuse while others cannot. The voice coil design and how well the driver is attached to the capsule can play into this and also how sturdy the driver membrane is and various other design aspects of the headphone. This can also be influenced by product tolerances, some headphones of the same model are more or less durable. I found Fostex Bio-cell drivers and the AKG K7 series seem to be able to handle a lot of abuse in my own personal experience, others may not have the same experience with these headphones. Also it depends on how well the headphone is powered.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 9
That actually heavily depends on the headphone, some headphones can take extreme abuse while others cannot. The voice coil design and how well the driver is attached to the capsule can play into this and also how sturdy the driver membrane is and various other design aspects of the headphone. This can also be influenced by product tolerances, some headphones of the same model are more or less durable. I found Fostex Bio-cell drivers and the AKG K7 series seem to be able to handle a lot of abuse in my own personal experience, others may not have the same experience with these headphones. Also it depends on how well the headphone is powered.

Thank you.
I think that Beyers 990 and Ultrasone pro 900 are strong too, as I given them extermly high (painful for my ears) volume. of course, no more,
but I'm afraid to see them taking that hit later and getting defective in the next hours or days...

I've also been told that to ruin a headphones this way, you gonna need even more volume level. one that a human cannot stand at all.

What do you think?

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you.
I think that Beyers 990 and Ultrasone pro 900 are strong too, as I given them extermly high (painful for my ears) volume. of course, no more,
but I'm afraid to see them taking that hit later and getting defective in the next hours or days...

I've also been told that to ruin a headphones this way, you gonna need even more volume level. one that a human cannot stand at all.

What do you think?

Beyers do tend to handle them well but Beyers do vary, some reach excursion earlier than others. I am very fond of Beyers(considering it's all I use currently). Never had a driver fail on me actually, it's always been cables that fail on me. I've had defective headphones though but it wasn't from overdriving. I never experienced a headphone really becoming defective from being overdone later on. What I gather when you damage it, it should be immediately apparent.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Beyers do tend to handle them well but Beyers do vary, some reach excursion earlier than others. I am very fond of Beyers(considering it's all I use currently). Never had a driver fail on me actually, it's always been cables that fail on me. I've had defective headphones though but it wasn't from overdriving. I never experienced a headphone really becoming defective from being overdone later on. What I gather when you damage it, it should be immediately apparent.

Well. before I had those test, I was listening to my Beyers 990 with a decent volume, and I've got the right driver to fail (replaced by now). I've been told that "it could be out of high volume" but I never used them this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back