Just HOW good is the emu 0404 usb as a dac?
Sep 23, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #31 of 32
The difference in inputs/outputs between the 0404usb and 1212m is that the optical connections on the 1212m can carry 8 channels of audio from/to a separate dac, where as the 0404usb can only carry 2.

On the 1212m you have 8 channels of optical plus 2 channels of co axial plus your 2 channel of analouge.

On the 0404usb you have 2 analogue inputs/outputs along with 2 channels of either coxial/optical input/output

I use the 1212m at work to interface to an exteral digital mixer, the 1212m is just used as an interface to write and transit the optical data to and from the computers hard disk.

I have the 0404usb at home, I sold the above gear to work as I sold all my music gear. I use the 0404usb with my Grado RS-2 headphones which delivers brilliant clarity, but I am thinking about getting a separate amp to power the grados.

Hope this helps

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #32 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maarek99,

What receiver are you using in preference to the 0404 USB? And what cans are you using?

The Kenwood krf-v6030d, output to either Rega Ear or Black Cube Linear and then to the hd650.

Actually now my setup is like this Kenwood -> Rega Ear -> hd650 and the Black Cube is plugged into the 0404 usb.

The Kenwood has the ak4586 dac http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...86/ak4586.html which is inferior to newer models. No idea about opamps or anything else, but it does seem pretty packed. Now this receiver is at the bottom of the pile in terms of how much it cost. It's a massmarket consumer device (discontinued ages ago) so it boggles my mind that it sounds so much better than these soundcards. I will be getting a "real" dac soon so then I'll be able to make better comparisons between these.

I also actually prefer the Rega Ear amplifier to the Black Cube Linear using hd650 so cost and/or "better" parts are not the solution to personal enjoyment. Funny that. I also have a headphile blacksilver replacement cable for the hd650 but don't use because I prefer the stock cable in everyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back