Just heard the DT770 Pro 80 ohm - question
Jun 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
I just heard the BeyerDynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm headphone.  I heard it at a local guitar center and they plugged it into some kind of complicated mixer that had a headphone port.  The mixer had about a million dials and what not.  Anyways, I really liked the sound but felt it needed to be improved in a few areas.  The highs are what caught my interest first.  They were so smooth and clear without being harsh at all.  But the area where I felt needed improvement was with the midbass and lows.  The midbass seemed very recessed to me and the lows were there and tight but I like more bass.

So my question is which beyerdynamic has the same nice highs as the DT770 with a more pronounced midbass with more bass?  I am looking at the DT880 600 ohm?  DT990 600 ohm?  I listen to a lot of progressive house(techno) music.  I am basically in the process of trying out a lot of headphones to see what kind of sound is right for me and the kind of music I listen to.  Thanks.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 11
More bass than the DT770s?

Ultrasones do an excellent job with electronic as do Denons. However, from my experience they both have less bass than the DT770s. I'll admit I am going from memory with the Ultrasones so I may be off there. I have the DT990 250 ohm which I find to be fairly punchy though the highs and mids aren't to my liking. The 600 ohms are supposedly smoother in the treble but I haven't heard them so I won't get into it too much. If you want more bass than the DT770 then the DT880s and DT990s are probably off your list.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 11
I also thought the DT700 would have plenty of bass, but trust me, off of the setup I was listening to them through, the bass was very recessed.  Both my HD650 and M50 have a TON more bass.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Do you mean midrange? The DT770s do have a very recessed midrange. I find the mids on the Ultrasones are not nearly as recessed as the DT770s so they may be worth looking at. The Denons do also suffer from recessed mids but I don't think it's to the same degree as the DT770s.

What's your budget? Are you considering an amp with them?

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I also thought the DT700 would have plenty of bass, but trust me, off of the setup I was listening to them through, the bass was very recessed.  Both my HD650 and M50 have a TON more bass.

We seem to hear the same. To me, both pair of DT770's I had (250 and 600 ohm) gave me no bass.
My DT880 / 600 ohm produce a much more substantial bass. Nowhere near the slightly exaggerated bass of my M50 (which I like very much, btw...), but they dig deep and are quite well-rounded.
I also got more bass (or at least deep, rich tones) out of my HD600's than the DT770's, but the highs were too rolled-off for my tastes.

The DT880 / 600 is a really fine HP. Great detail, clarity and very neutral. Very good for many types of music. I also really like the overall (and VERY different) sound of the D5000, though it's bloated bass needs correcting (which is why I have the LA2000 on the way).

I have not heard any incarnation of the DT990.

Hope that helps.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
We seem to hear the same. To me, both pair of DT770's I had (250 and 600 ohm) gave me no bass.

Did you listen to the premium version or the pro model? As I understand it they are quite different. FWIR the premium version is bass light while the pro models are bass heavy.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 11
The DT770 Pro 80 has far from recessed bass. It's a renowned bass monster. You sure it was a Pro model or a consumer one?

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
My DT880 / 600 ohm produce a much more substantial bass. Nowhere near the slightly exaggerated bass of my M50 (which I like very much, btw...), but they dig deep and are quite well-rounded.
I also got more bass (or at least deep, rich tones) out of my HD600's than the DT770's, but the highs were too rolled-off for my tastes.

The DT880 / 600 is a really fine HP. Great detail, clarity and very neutral. Very good for many types of music. I also really like the overall (and VERY different) sound of the D5000, though it's bloated bass needs correcting (which is why I have the LA2000 on the way).

I have not heard any incarnation of the DT990.

Hope that helps.

I think your DT770/600 I bought from you have pretty good bass (I recabled them to balanced recently). But compared to the Pro900, yeah they are a little anemic. I would say they have similar bass quantity to the HD650's with more treble presence. I had the D5000 and D7000 and feel these are very close to those- nearly as refined. This is run balanced from the Phoenix amp. These are very good closed phones for the money IMO. I am going to get some pleather pads as well.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think your DT770/600 I bought from you have pretty good bass (I recabled them to balanced recently). But compared to the Pro900, yeah they are a little anemic. I would say they have similar bass quantity to the HD650's with more treble presence. I had the D5000 and D7000 and feel these are very close to those- nearly as refined. This is run balanced from the Phoenix amp. These are very good closed phones for the money IMO. I am going to get some pleather pads as well.

Very pleased to hear you like them!!
Fascinating how head size, bone density, hair, ear shape and all else (like the brain) can contribute to the EXACT same cans sounding so differently to two different people. Really drives home the point that we each need to give things a listen and develop our own opinions. For example, I find almost no similarity between them and my D5000. An interesting hobby (passion?) for sure.

I do agree that the DT770/600 are very good closed 'phones for the money. I've also been interested in pleather or J$ leather pads for the DT880. I hear it improves the bass.
wink_face.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I heard it at a local guitar center and they plugged it into some kind of complicated mixer that had a headphone port.  The mixer had about a million dials and what not. 

I'd guess the bass was turned down on the mixer.  I have not heard them myself, but I don't think I've heard anyone else say the pro 80s were bass lite, compared to almost anything.  Especially not the HD650s.  Head back and try a different source or check the EQ on the mixer.

You might also like the DT990/600s.  They have some pretty serious bass,  both tight and impactful.  They have an awful lot of treble though.  Its decently smooth but its just too loud for me.  It didn't jump out and grab me when I listened to a pair for 15 minutes or so, and decided I wanted a pair, but that changed when I got a pair for myself.  It sounded superficially impressive for a while, but then it really starts to grate on my ears.  I love everything else about them from the bass to the soundstaging, but I like my treble =843]rolled off a bit so YMMV.  My brother had the same opinion, but then he plays the baritone and the bass guitar.  E Nomine sounded great on them though.

Also, don't bother with the 990/250s.  They're terrible in comparison to the 600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back