Just heard the AKG 701's with Grados
Apr 5, 2006 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FilmMxMan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I was in my local stereo store comparing the RS-2 and 325i. Both sounded nice with the RS-2 sounding more pronounced, bass was deeper and warmer than the 325i but the 325i were very nice in their own way. The Grados were just ok comfort wise. The store manager said we just got the AKG 701 in. They sounded very even, neutral, clean and they were very comfortable. I am having trouble deciding on which one to buy. They didn't have the Senns. HD650 for comparing which is another can I was looking to buy. Any opinions on the AKG 701?

filmmxman

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 28
I was in debate over K701 or SR325i but decided to go with the more "fun" can. I thought they actually have a somewhat similar sonic signature with the K701 leaning towards analytical. I would have been totally happy with them, and the comfort is definitely better but I decided with the music I listen to primarly that the Grado would be the better option. I also liked that an amp is semi-optional with them helping to keep total cost down.

I listened to both at a local meet and spent a fair amount (30mins maybe) A/Bing the two (and also HHF-1 vs 325). I gave the 650s a quick listen and put them down, IMO they just don't sound great.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 28
The K701's seem to be a well respected headphone around here, as do the Grado's of coarse! In the end you realy need to go with your own heart on this one. There is no wrong choice here. I didn't here you mention Bose, so all is well.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 28
I agree with the above - at this point (especially that price point) it's all personal preference. Go with what you ears and gut seem to enjoy the most!

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmMxMan
Any opinions on the AKG 701?

There's a whole bunch of opinions pro and con, this way and that, including comparisons with the HD-650 in several recent threads. Try a search, or even just scroll down several pages of threads in this sub-forum and you'll see them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist
Also dont forget to look at the impedence etc. The AKGs are great but really you need an amp. The grados will run much better w/out one. keep that in mind.

Yeah, with an amp it's personal preference... but without an amp the Grados will blow the AKG away.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 28
I had a 325i w/ beta pads that I sold when my 701s arrived. I prefer the AKGs for a couple of reasons - one, they're more comfortable on me. Two, they weigh less (that might be part of one). The sound signature's quite different on the two - which is six of one, half dozen of the other, depending on your preferences - but I don't miss the 325s at all. The AKGs strike me as more refined, the Grados were more aggressive. And the 325i's w/ the pads were pretty weighty.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 28
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but after I got a chance to listen Grado SR-225's with my equipment I don't like my AKG's and Sony's anymore. AKG's are a bit boring and just a little too sibilant for me. Sony's still have that overly bright presentation which can give me short-term tinnitus.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 28
It just boils down to personal preference. Can I toss in one more candidate to confuse you further.... IMHO you should also consider the MS2i. Its in between the K701 and 325i, but leaning more towards the 325i... Imagine the Grado slam but more analytical/accurate. Neither Grado has the soundstage of the 701 though IMHO.

**edit**
Yikes I didn't realize how old this thread is.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 28
No matter how good a phone sounds if it's not comfortable I only listen to it when I'm comparing it to other phones. This means my K701s (top bumps), HD600s (clamp), ER4Ps (rock stuck in ear) don't get listened to very much, but my PK1s (only phone that almost disappears), K501s with K701 pads (feels good even though I know it's there), MS1s (ditto), and Stax Lambda Pros (ditto but they make my ears sweat) do. So given nearly equal SQ, comfort trumps SQ every time. This means my next HeadFi itch will be scratched by MS2s because when I auditioned the SR325is they were very comfortable but didn’t sound quite as good as my HD600s so I returned them. However, I value comfort more now and hope my LD MKIV SE amp will provide the necessary discipline to whip MS2s into shape because I already know it makes my MS1s sound (almost?) as good as my other high SQ, low comfort phones mentioned above.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 28
One thing to consider is that the Grado seem to hold thier value more than the AKG incase you get upgraditis....

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how good a phone sounds if it's not comfortable I only listen to it when I'm comparing it to other phones. This means my K701s (top bumps), HD600s (clamp), ER4Ps (rock stuck in ear) don't get listened to very much, but my PK1s (only phone that almost disappears), K501s with K701 pads (feels good even though I know it's there), MS1s (ditto), and Stax Lambda Pros (ditto but they make my ears sweat) do. So given nearly equal SQ, comfort trumps SQ every time. This means my next HeadFi itch will be scratched by MS2s because when I auditioned the SR325is they were very comfortable but didn’t sound quite as good as my HD600s so I returned them. However, I value comfort more now and hope my LD MKIV SE amp will provide the necessary discipline to whip MS2s into shape because I already know it makes my MS1s sound (almost?) as good as my other high SQ, low comfort phones mentioned above.

I have also been looking at super comfortable phones the past few weeks and stumbled across recommendation for the Sony MDR-F1. I just ordered a pair from Audiocubes yesterday. Perhaps you should do the same.
smily_headphones1.gif
Their comfort is supposed to be top notch, perhaps one of the best ever? I don't know much about the sound quality except that some have described it as a decent jack of all trades phone. I'll see how I like it when I received it late next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back