Just Had To Say Thanks - New to Head-Fi, First Purchase
May 27, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #16 of 32
I refuse to be an enabler to the demise of your wallet.....

O.K., that lasted, I have no willpower even over spending others monies here...

You really do not need much amplification with the 595s and / or the Grados but a DAC / amp portable would gain you great versitility and improved sound quality, such as the Porta Corda USB so you could use it both on the go and at your desk. Similarly for less cost with less gain and a lesser quality DAC would be the Headroom bithead for half the cost.

i'd rather see you go either of these routes than simply an amp which is hardly needed with these cans you mention....

Cha-Ching$$$
wink.gif

May 27, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 32
If you're using a desktop PC, I recommend looking into a soundcard upgrade (EMU1212m is very nice). An amp would hardly help improve your sound if you're just planning on plugging it straight into your current soundcard (you'll just be amplifying the bad sound from your card, GIGO - garbage in, garbage out).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already am I thinking about checking out some Grados (225 or 325i).

I would recommend the Alexandro MS-2i.

May 27, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using a desktop PC, I recommend looking into a soundcard upgrade (EMU1212m is very nice). An amp would hardly help improve your sound if you're just planning on plugging it straight into your current soundcard (you'll just be amplifying the bad sound from your card, GIGO - garbage in, garbage out).

I would recommend the Alexandro MS-2i.

X2

May 27, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #20 of 32
Right now I have a Creative Labs Audigy 4 - is that a good enough sound card to warrant an amp?

May 27, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #21 of 32
Sure, Sennheiser, followed by Allesandro. followed by Grados.

Then eventually, after all that zigging and zagging, you'll get custom 600 ohm Beyers- DT880s or Dt990s. Or both.

Remember that Supertramp sang take the long road home. Remember also that by that point their career, they sucked.

(Adjusting my flame suit and turning up Richard & Linda Thompson.)
tongue.gif

May 27, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #22 of 32
If you don't run now, you might get suckered in for another $5k. Not kidding!

Welcome to headfi.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 32
Be on the lookout for my noobie thread soon! I am going to search these forums so that I dont ask anything that cant be answered by using the 'search' button.

Soon I shall have 500+ posts, a kick ass avatar and a sig thats worth about 2 grand.

May 27, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember that Supertramp sang take the long road home. Remember also that by that point their career, they sucked.

Don't listen to him... he listens to Supertramp, lol.
icon10.gif

I say take the long way home. Your ear for good sound and your musical taste takes time to develop. Just like there's little point in consuming a $2000 bottle of wine if you've never learned how to appreciate it, by the same token, an Orpheus system would be wasted on someone who never gave their ears the time to learn to differentiate between good sound and bad sound. In other words, I believe that you can't fully appreciate the good without having experienced the bad.

Speaking of entry-level stuff of good value, you should get a pair of KSC75 for portable use. Search around, you'll know what I mean.
evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of entry-level stuff of good value, you should get a pair of KSC75 for portable use. Search around, you'll know what I mean.
evil_smiley.gif

That's right! And if you do, and you like them;(who doesn't!)then you'll have a pretty good idea of what Alessandros' sounds like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back