Just had my audition at Cincinnati Conservatory
Feb 18, 2007 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Wel i'm sitting here at Applebee's somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania on my way home from Cincinnati where I just had my audition for piano performance. Overall I'd say it went fairly well. I played prelude and fuge xx wtc book II by Bach, Tempest Sonata by Beethoven, and etude op. 10 no. 9 by Chopin. The prelude was great along with the Beethoven. The fuge was merely okay, and the Chopin I didn't play to my usual standard. I think I showed my talent and musicality, which was my goal. One thing that surprised me was that some of the other applicant's prorams were extremely easy; some were playing Haydn and Mozart. That seems akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight, bu I suppose it's how well you play that counts. Anyway, now I have to wait until April to find out if i got in. The wait is going to be brutal!

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Wow - good luck to you! Hopefully you will come out on top & will get what you hope for. Auditions are always nerve wracking & the wait is even worse. You go over & over it in your mind trying to remember every little mistake. I don't miss those days -- but it is exciting.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 7
hope you did good - i always get so nervous at auditions. but hey, look at my college application:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan School of Music
Applicants residing outside North America and cello, tuba and double bass applicants may either audition live in New York or opt to send a recorded DVD audition (except for composition, accompanying, and Doctoral Program applicants who must have a live audition).

* DVD's must include all required repertoire and be clearly labeled with your full name, instrument and degree.
* DVD's must be submitted by December 1st if prescreening is required.
* If prescreening is not required, DVD's must be received no later than January 15th.
* DVD's will not be returned.

i did sooooo many takes. but i made sure to play some decently hard material to make up for it. Clarke's Carnival of Venice variations are pretty damn hard on tuba...

it's a shame that, out of all of this solo repetoire i'm mastering, i will just play whole notes for the rest of my life... man, why don't i just play trombone?

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wel i'm sitting here at Applebee's somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania on my way home from Cincinnati where I just had my audition for piano performance. Overall I'd say it went fairly well. I played prelude and fuge xx wtc book II by Bach, Tempest Sonata by Beethoven, and etude op. 10 no. 9 by Chopin. The prelude was great along with the Beethoven. The fuge was merely okay, and the Chopin I didn't play to my usual standard. I think I showed my talent and musicality, which was my goal. One thing that surprised me was that some of the other applicant's prorams were extremely easy; some were playing Haydn and Mozart. That seems akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight, bu I suppose it's how well you play that counts. Anyway, now I have to wait until April to find out if i got in. The wait is going to be brutal!

good going. but sometime its hard to play an easy piece extremely extremely well. I know the Mozart pieces are usually easier to play, but I always had a hard time playing it extremely well. I know that in the cooking world, cough...food another passion of ours, some people's interview question is to cook an egg....easy yet hard
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back