> Hey Doug
>
> Are you out of school for winter break? I hope so .. you need a
> rest.. Anyway I just wanted you to know my Dad is not doing well
> and is in the Hospotial . I am flying directly to Salt Lake City
> on friday to go see him. Today was his first day of local
> raidiation on his head, hip and spine. I am taking a leave of
> absence from work , simply because I need to help Mom take care of
> him, and drive back home too. Hope you are doing well .....
>
> CASE

I didn't really know how to respond. I want to pray for him but I don't really know if that would make any difference.

edit: His dad got cancer from agent orange in vietnam. Yeah, I could get really political on that one.

I think John Rambo said it best: "Barry's gone too Sir. Got himself killed in Nam, didn't even know it. Cancer ate him down to the bone."

Kyrie Eleison.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 14
Very sad to hear.

I would offer an "ear" if your friend desires. He may just want to "air this out" some. I'm not much of a talker so this is my style.

If you can't call him, just respond with a note of support and your phone # (optional) in case he wants to talk.

I'll pray for him.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 14
man that sucks... agent orange is no way to win a war... that's called genocide. cruel and unusual as well. backfiring? evidently
not much you can do, i'd say, aside from being there for him and keeping him in reality..

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 14
I lost one of my parents when I was young. My advice is just stay in touch with him. Call him, email him, just to chat. Do this fairly regularly. Don't bring up his dad's illness (and especially not any political issues related to it or agent orange) unless he initiates conversation about it. He just needs to know and feel that people are out there for him, and that he still has his connection to his friends.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_dudd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man that sucks... agent orange is no way to win a war... that's called genocide. cruel and unusual as well. backfiring? evidently
not much you can do, i'd say, aside from being there for him and keeping him in reality..

Agent Orange was a defoliant meant to kill the Vietcong's cover- forests. It was not known to harm humans at the time, and hence was not intentionally used for that purpose..

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 14
not to get all philosophical and surfer-dude(and i know you are just stating facts), but hindsight completely aside-- wouldn't a reasonably intelligent person discern that something that is meant to rapidly shorten the life of one living being (a tree) might also have adverse affects on another (a human being)?
thanks for the history lesson, btw, i'm sure i've read that before, but i find it hard to believe that the best outcome for everyone involved was on the table during the decision to use those kinds of potent chemicals.
take produce for example, i wash fruits and vegetables before consuming or preparing them, and i hope you do too. i do this for a number of reasons, dirt, mud, compost, and more emphatically for pesticides.
agent orange wasn't used to treat orchards for worms or bugs like pesticides are, it was meant to destroy it-- so anyone can discern that its effectiveness is on an exponentially larger scale than a standard pesticide, which me or you(hopefully) are even careful about consuming.
and they weren't even treating the forestry, they were murdering it.
don't get me wrong, i'm not a tree hugger (nor a people hugger for that matter) but what's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. usign agent orange not only was an environmentally devastating move, but it would have been more effective to burn the forest down to ash rather than to use chemicals to do the job.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

not to get all philosophical and surfer-dude(and i know you are just stating facts), but hindsight completely aside-- wouldn't a reasonably intelligent person discern that something that is meant to rapidly shorten the life of one living being (a tree) might also have adverse affects on another (a human being)?
thanks for the history lesson, btw, i'm sure i've read that before, but i find it hard to believe that the best outcome for everyone involved was on the table during the decision to use those kinds of potent chemicals.
take produce for example, i wash fruits and vegetables before consuming or preparing them, and i hope you do too. i do this for a number of reasons, dirt, mud, compost, and more emphatically for pesticides.
agent orange wasn't used to treat orchards for worms or bugs like pesticides are, it was meant to destroy it-- so anyone can discern that its effectiveness is on an exponentially larger scale than a standard pesticide, which me or you(hopefully) are even careful about consuming.
and they weren't even treating the forestry, they were murdering it.
don't get me wrong, i'm not a tree hugger (nor a people hugger for that matter) but what's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. usign agent orange not only was an environmentally devastating move, but it would have been more effective to burn the forest down to ash rather than to use chemicals to do the job.

You're getting this thread really off track. Agent Orange was used in the west (both the US and Britain) at the time as a pesticide. It wasn't something just cooked up for use in Vietnam, though obviously it was used there on a much larger scale. It wasn't until after that the dioxin byproducts were recognized. One could argue that the scientists were blind, but the same story repeated itself over and over in the 60s and 70s, e.g. DDT and asbestos. Our ability to create and use various chemicals grew faster than our understanding of them. Even now this happens, though we're getting better. e.g. The whole hormone replacement therapy thing causing a rise in breast cancer.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was not known to harm humans at the time, and hence was not intentionally used for that purpose..

Unlike the Depleted Uranium our government is currently exposing our own troops to.

Quote:

but i find it hard to believe that the best outcome for everyone involved

Since when has any branch of the military been concerned about that?

Quote:

You don't have to worry about that if you support Organic farming.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Unlike the Depleted Uranium our government is currently exposing our own troops to.

The use of depleted uranium in weapons and armor is a calculated risk by the military. The added killing/protection ability provided DU weapons/armor outweighs the possible risks of DU exposure.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're getting this thread really off track. Agent Orange was used in the west (both the US and Britain) at the time as a pesticide. It wasn't something just cooked up for use in Vietnam, though obviously it was used there on a much larger scale. It wasn't until after that the dioxin byproducts were recognized. One could argue that the scientists were blind, but the same story repeated itself over and over in the 60s and 70s, e.g. DDT and asbestos. Our ability to create and use various chemicals grew faster than our understanding of them. Even now this happens, though we're getting better. e.g. The whole hormone replacement therapy thing causing a rise in breast cancer.

I hadn't realized that this thread had a specified track. it seemed rather open-ended to me, but if you want to get dicey, the OP made references to the government's lack of concern for it's own operatives. my whole point was that agent orange's usage was on a much larger level of potency than a typical pesticide, and that same family of chemical (pesticide) is something which everyday consumers should be aware of and concerned for-- which tells you what about agent orange's usage? it had to be used on a much larger scale (evidently, it was on a poisonous scale), because instead of treating forestry, the military wanted to destroy it instead.. by how? poisoning it?
people are destined to kill each other one way or another if you ask me. we just have to stop evoloving and become uhmeebuhs and just absorb one another insted. and i wioll start wyth my blatent tipos.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The use of depleted uranium in weapons and armor is a calculated risk by the military. The added killing/protection ability provided DU weapons/armor outweighs the possible risks of DU exposure.

The risks aren't just "possible", they're clearly apparent and highly probable.

I understand that "killing" is the most important thing to our currently backasswards military. It used to be about minimizing casualties on both sides of the battle, but now it's about manufacturing weapons that cause mass devastation under the guise of efficiency and profit.

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

my whole point was that agent orange's usage was on a much larger level of potency than a typical pesticide, and that same family of chemical (pesticide) is something which everyday consumers should be aware of and concerned for-- which tells you what about agent orange's usage? it had to be used on a much larger scale (evidently, it was on a poisonous scale), because instead of treating forestry, the military wanted to destroy it instead.. by how? poisoning it?

Agent Orange is a herbicide (specifically, one that kills broad leaf plants by inducing uncontrolled growth), not a pesticide. The military was using Agent Orange for the chemical's intended purpose, just on trees instead of weeds. It wasn't until after the war that we realized that Agent Orange was carcinogenic even though the individual pesticides used in them weren't.

Quote:

The risks aren't just "possible", they're clearly apparent and highly probable.

The "possible" part comes in due to the uncertainty regarding the level of exposure our troops our troops have had.

There's a lot of hoopla about Gulf War syndrome and DU, but there are many probable causes for that, ranging from Anthrax vaccines to chemical weapons exposure. (Course, there's also the issue that Gulf War syndrome likely doesn't even exist, but hey.)

Quote:

I understand that "killing" is the most important thing to our currently backasswards military. It used to be about minimizing casualties on both sides of the battle, but now it's about manufacturing weapons that cause mass devastation under the guise of efficiency and profit.

Killing is the not most important thing to a military. Breaking the enemy's military will and capability is. It's unfortunate that killing just happens to be the fastest and most efficient method to do so.

Modern military technology has been about "minimizing casualties on both sides of the battle". Of course, the priority is our guys, then enemy civilians.

The advances in weapons technology enabled armies to shrink even while increasing their capabilities. This puts less of our guys at risk. Improved armor (including DU armor) and defensive capabilities greatly reduces our soldiers' risk of injury, and improved military medicine has turned previously lethal wounds into survivable ones.

Better surveillance technology and smart weapons have enabled our men to better locate the enemy and destroy them while minimizing civilian casualties. The rules of engagement, which we follow, also serve to lessen civilian casualties.

The fact that people die when we wage war is not a military issue. The military is just doing it's job. The politicians are the ones responsible for deaths.

I also don't understand where you got the conceptions about "minimizing casualties on both sides of the battle" and "it's about manufacturing weapons that cause mass devastation". The minimization of civilian casualties is a recent invention, and no one's done more towards that end than America. The second statement is just completely off base. A large amount of programs are specifically creating weapons that minimizing the amount of incidental devastation.

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 14
This thread will get close very soon at the rate it is going. To the OP sorryabout what your friend is going through. I would suggest you at least talk to him but more importantly listen to what he has to say. Best of luck and who knows but miracles to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back