Just got the Sporta-Pros for $11.99!
Aug 28, 2001 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

attnet

Head-Fier
from Circuit City. Their sound is quite warm and rich, although a bit lacking in detail, and sometimes overwhelming bass. They are also very comfortable in the :traditional: style, though haven't tried the treet: style because i cannot figure out how to get the on that way . Just two questions:

1. Is there anyway to reduce the bass somewhat, or will it "settle out" as the phones burn-in?

2. Was this the best choice considering that I could have gotten the KSC-50s for $14.99?

Thanks a lot for your replies. Great phone recommended for anyone who is on a budget a likes lots of bass.

Aug 28, 2001 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Hey, you got a great price, in canada they sell for 4 times that price
frown.gif

To decrease the bass, change the pads to the radioshack pads. Also, i like bending the headband so the drivers don't push down as hard... This will decrease the bass and give it quite a neutral presentation (will a little exagerated bass)

Aug 28, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 16
>1. Is there anyway to reduce the bass somewhat, or will it "settle
>out" as the phones burn-in?
>
>2. Was this the best choice considering that I could have gotten the
>KSC-50s for $14.99?

The answer to question #2 can be found in question #1
wink.gif

Seriously, though, the KSC-50s don't have the boomy bass found in the SportaPros. If you find the Sportas too boomy (which most people do, I think), the KSC-50s will be a welcome improvement.

Aug 28, 2001 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey I just noticed this:

on the koss website and pretty much everywhere else, it says the frequency response of the Sporta Pros are 15-25000hz 60ohms 103db SPL/1mw, while the packaging says it is 25-15000hz 38ohms 93.5db SPL/1mw. Did they somehow misprint the specs on the packaging, or is this a "new version" i have here?

EDIT: the specs on the packaging are identical to the specs of the TD-61. very strange I must say...

Aug 28, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 16
hmmm.....that "new" version sounds inferior....probably a misprint....

Aug 29, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 16
btw, do the RadioShack 33-374 pads really make that much of a difference in reducing the bass? and does it distort the sound in any way? thanks, i'm thinking about getting these pads tomorrow, but not sure if they are a good idea. the excessive bass is really bothering me, but i dont want to wind up getting something that doesn't stay on very well or is not very comfortable.

Aug 29, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 16
Wow, I know it's only 7 votes, but I have to say I'm amazed that the SportaPros have gotten three votes.

I mean, people have preferences, but the Sportas are *very* boomy compared to the KSC-50s. Maybe we have some closet b-b-b-bass lovers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 16
hmm...or maybe the "b-b-b-bass lovers" are actually using modded SportaPros w/ the 33-374 RS Pads. So can anyone attest to how they im/deprove the bass and overall sound of the cans?

EDIT: please also describe how well they "fit" on the headphones and how comfortable they are compared to the old pads. thanks.

Aug 29, 2001 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Many people have had postive results with these pads in the past (waaaaaaaaaay before the ksc50s came out), just do a search at headwize.

I found the sportapros to be decent straight out of the package, but the boomy and exagerated bass distracted from the music severly. Also, the drivers pushed WAY too tightly against my ears, making them uncomfortable.

So putting the RS pads on kills two birds with one stone, it decreases the bass a lot, and makes them much more comfortable. I also did a lot of headband bending to decrease the pressure it exerted.

The foam in the pads is very high quality, and softer and more more open than the originals. So they are more comfortable and let more of the treble through, though they aren't as durable as the orignals (though the package comes with 4 pads). Overall, the pads are a bit smaller in diameter to the originals, but Much deeper. It does take some time to stretch the pads over the drivers, as there is quite a large overhang in the back of the pad. I prefer not to pull them all the way back, so the pad becomes "bowl shaped". This puts the most distance between the driver and the ear (about half a centemetre) . The end result is much less bass (very tight actually, though it is still a bit too prominant for my tastes). Also the sensitivity drops a lot with the increased distance, so you will need to turn up the volume about 20%. And it will leak more sound in and out. But overall, i find the sound and comfort to be increased a lot, and definately worth a try.

Personally i do not like clip ons, and find the headband design to be great, so i will probably buy another pair of sportas (to replace my stolen ones), even though they cost $10 more than the KSC-50's in canada.

Aug 29, 2001 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 16
yeah, the only thing that is keeping me from switching to the KSC-50s is the numerous reports of them ranging from being slightly uncomfortable to outright horrendous. can anyone attest to the comfort of the KSC-50s vs Sporta Pros?

EDIT: you know, last night I broke in my headphones on my stereo for about 12 hrs. and the bass seems to be slightly decreased although it is still quite execessive. Thanks for the advice thomas, I will try out the RS pads this afternoon or tomorrow.

Aug 29, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 16
thomas, the ksc-50 can be had for 35$ at Canadian Tire.

attnet:
After one day
biggrin.gif
with my new ksc-50s I can assure you these are the perfect torture devces - if you don't know what you're doing
wink.gif

They have some really sharp edges (Hello? Koss designers? these sit on your ears, on your ears!!) so I think I'm gonna try a file mod...

Anyhow, there's another good way to prevent pain. Just when you put them on the way you think would be optimal...tilt them forward a bit. This takes away the pressure and makes sure only the soft rubber sits on your ear. They are a bit loose after this but it's worth it.

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 29, 2001 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 16
yeah, see, it's just the "bit loose" part that concerns me beacuse I'd like to use the for jogging and biking, but dont want them to fall off my ears and get smashed by my foot or tire
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, it's not like they fall off easily. They're just a bit more loose.
You can always bend the earpiece rubber/wire to fit more tightly.

(one headbanging session later .... to classical music
wink.gif
)

Yep don't come off at all.
I can't guarantee they will be comfortable 5 hours from now, but they feel pretty good

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 29, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 16
attnet, the answer is to grab a pair of KSC-35 before they're gone. They are more comfortable while actually fitting more snuggly, and they are lighter. They also have a better fit so they sound a bit better.

As for the KSC vs. Sportas in the comfort area... right out of the box the Sportas are very uncomfortable in my opinion. They reall clamp to your head, and press very hard against your ears. As thomas pointed out, you can bend the headphone to loosen them up. However, I much prefer the KSC-35s, especially for long-term use and *especially* for exercise.

Aug 29, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 16
well MacDEF, the KSC-35s are not really an option for me right now, as I cant find any local stores that stock them, and dont want to spend the 2x extra ($15 KSC-50, $30 KSC-35) online for a pair of phones that sound pretty much the same.

btw MacDEF, have you tried the RS pad mod yet? The thing is, i do not find that the Sporta Pros "clamp down too tightly" on my head, so I dont know if the RS mod will help me in terms of comfort.

how about a comparison of comfort and sound AFTER the RS pad mod with the Sporta Pros vs KSC-50s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back