Just got the Shure se425 and very dissappointed - no bass at all...
Jan 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dubstepnext

New Head-Fier
After much deliberation ive decided to buy the shure 425. I asked the online seller whether there is a significant in the sound quality in comparison to the 535- he responded that in his opinion they're almost the same. He said the difference between the 325 to the 425 was much more significant....
He "forgot" to tell me the 535 have 3 sound drives (hence the number5-3-5) while the 425 has only two- meaning it lacks bass... Does anyone share my opinion?
I can't return it... So bummed.
Was waiting for months.
Thoughts anyone?

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 5
There is more to IEM design than the number of drivers. If you read advice on those lines then it was misplaced. If you are achieving a good fit and seal then the only other advice is to try aftermarket tips like comply and black olives, assuming your music is encoded properly and you are using a decent source

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the rsponse- I tried it in many devices- set the low's and mid's up then the bass interfered with the highs...
I'll try to search where you've mentioned.
What, in your opinion is the best iem for that price range? For a basshead like myself

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 5
"Bass head" is relative as it is impossible for anyone else to know your preferences. Note also bass quantity and quality are different things which can be forgotten on this site. Dre Beats for example have plenty of quantity, but quality?.... Sounds like you would have been better off going for Senn IE line. Or Phonak PFE 112 or 012 bass. The Senn IE8 (now replaced by IE80) bass quantity was too unnatural for me but can appreciate how others would go for it. Assuming you are in the US perhaps use a site with a good return policy if you cannot local demo, think sponsor earphonesolutions has good rep

Ultimately there is only so much you can "accentuate" sound; your efforts will not change the underlying signature of the IEM. After a period of listening go back to you prev pair and that should help show the difference of the SE425, for better or worse. If you still do not like them then change it up

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Number of drivers doesn't really have anything to do with bass quantity. The SE425 are supposedly pretty neutral, but I doubt the SE535's would be much better for you. Shure is known for mids - at least when it comes to IEMS. If you wanted more bass, probably should have opted for Sennheiser or Westone. The SE535s I demo'd were not exactly bass monsters. The Westone 3 has a lot of bass quantity and can be purchased for under $300 from an authorized dealer. Not sure how much you can sell the 425's for, but might be worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back