Just got the SE530..now I need some help!
Oct 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nwilliams

New Head-Fier
Got a new pair of Shure SE530 today!
biggrin.gif

I have a few questions for the experienced 530 users.

Which tips are referred to as "olives" the black rubber (soft flex) or the black foam (soft foam) that came with the iems?

They came out the box with the soft foam sleeves on. I decided to try different sleeves to see what would work best and couldn't believe how difficult it is to remove the foam sleeves. I grab it and gently twist and pull and it only compresses the foam and the sleeve doesn't really budge. After some time I managed getting it off but I'd like to try a different size and I feel as though there may be a better way to remove them? It seems like if I'm not careful I could easily damage/rip the foam sleeve and yet it just won't come off without a fight!

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the olives are the foamies. time to enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, thanks.

Now if I could only remove these damn olives and try another size!!
They're stuck! I've been struggling trying to remove them for the past 15 min.
I feel pretty stupid fighting with something this simple...or is it?
redface.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 14
compress the foamies with two fingers until your fingernails can clipped on the end of plastic tubing of the foamies. then slowly pull it out, applying force on the tubing.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 14
Olives are sort of so-so. They do enhance the bass, but it's a little muddy.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 14
So far I like the foam best...aside from the difficulty in removing them.
The soft flex rubber isn't bad at all.
The tri flanges on the other hand are terrible...maybe I need to try inserting them better into my ear.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 14
IMO the foam sounds the best and provides the best isolation,
but I also use the soft flex rubber as it is a lot easier (faster) to take in and out on busy days when people dont get the message youd rather hear bob marley then speak with them =)/

Dave

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 14
biggest improvement with foam is increased comfort and best isolation.

biggest downside for me is the foams ability to grab any sign of wax out of your ears when you take them out no matter how many Q-tips you use or how much you shower your ear lugs. ughh what a pain.

oh and as far as foam goes the shures invention is certainly the best, hence them being the foam of choice for 99% of in ear users if they fit their phones.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwilliams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tri flanges on the other hand are terrible...maybe I need to try inserting them better into my ear.

Yes you do.

When I first tried the tri-flanges, I had the same reaction as yours. I settled on the black olives and loved them. But after almost a year, I decided to experiment after seeing a thread in here about the tri-flanges. Basically, I figured out how to insert them correctly and it was a revelation. They sound so good they are now what I use all the time. As much as I like the black olives, the tri-flanges add a little bit more at the the high end, but still give ample bass at the low end.

I trimmed mine just a little at the headphone end so that the phone would fit tighter to my ear when inserted. The tri-flanges are not as comfortable as the olives and at first it felt like I was inserting them deep enough to hit my eardrum. :-D But that is not actually possible and I find they are comfortable enough for extended listening sessions.

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 14
I use the black foams with my SE530s and love them so far. Did not try the tri flanges yet (love them with my Etymotics).

I got the Complys for my Shure but they do not seem to seal as good as the Shures. They are comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back