Just got the MDR-V700DJ headphones
Sep 19, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #16 of 30
I noticed that the bass isnt as boomy but the mids and highs sound alot more crisp that the MDR-700DJ set and there not as heavy and there more comfortable and they fit my head better. But most of all i dont get the high pitch sound with singers that have high voices. I dont know much about this stuff but all i know is that these sound better than the pair i just took back and i have some extra cash lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 30
And you like them better with your choices of music????

Sep 19, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 30
i also found the v700dj to be very uncomfortable compared to the v6. i wasn't fond of the sound either. they do look cool, though.

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 30
And note that I didn't say that the MDR-V700DJ's are horrible (they're not horrible, on an absolute scale); I'm only saying that you can buy much better-sounding headphones than the V[size=xx-small]stiff[/size]700DJ's for the price.

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 30
Gack.
That must be some mellow crap you're smoking, Eagle_Driver...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 30
well the **** with those sonys is that they dont give u much detail at mediocre volume levels. they deliver awesome bass (many ppl slate the bass to be flat etc...whateva it just sounds fat at the end of the day). but especially when u mix dnb and likes u cant really hear the snares.
so id recommend em for techno/house mainly
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
And note that I didn't say that the MDR-V700DJ's are horrible (they're not horrible, on an absolute scale); I'm only saying that you can buy much better-sounding headphones than the V[size=xx-small]stiff[/size]700DJ's for the price.

To me, that means horrible. If you can buy a pair of headphones for half the price that sound better...
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 30
Now, I'm getting outta the good-sounding business. I'm just not meant to listen to anything good-sounding at all, let alone great-sounding. I'm going back to the type of consumer who'd rather look good than sound good. (j/k)

EDIT: Wait a minute, I must have been on crack when I made that last statement...
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by mnemonic
OT:
Eagle Driver, is your name meant to mean F-15 pilot?

Not exactly. I took the name "Eagle_Driver" as meaning "a golf club". That's right; I used to dabble in golf, and once shot an "eagle". But I was never really avid in the game.
tongue.gif

But back on topic:
mnemonic, how was your experience with a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJs? Or have you even heard them at all?

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #26 of 30
Magicthyse,
If you are as beautiful as your Avartar, I'll buy a pair of the V700.
biggrin.gif

Purk

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #27 of 30
I have tried my hardest for a couple months to really like the V6/7506 but to me, the highs are just too harsh and there seems to be a lack of midrange (maybe its just a flat midrange and I'm used to a little more warmth). I actually A/B'ed the V700's and the 7506's yesterday in a local music store with a range of stuff from rock to hip hop and for that particular style of music, the 700's were much easier on the ears compared to the 7506's and much more fenjoyable to listen to. The 7506's are definitely lighter and less pressing on the ears.

I definitely value everyone's opinions on here (no corporate "buy this cause we endorse it" crap) but the V6/7506's just don't work well for my tastes, which I thought for sure they would-- and believe me, I've wanted to like them!

As far as the 700's go, I think for their intended use (DJ'ing) they're pretty good, or for listening to techno, hip hop, etc-- something where true audiophile quality isn't a necessity, they work great there too. But kick that bass boost in on ANY source (home deck, PCDP, etc.) and I see EXACTLY what everyone's talking about with the super-overexcessive bass. I don't think they are bad headphones at all, but for God's sake don't pay the $130-150 for them! Alot of places online have them for about $95. But at their retail price, you guys are right-- MUCH better choices out there. Personally I think they're fun headphones, right Magic?

appar111

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #28 of 30
(claps)

You can tweak the comfort (and pressure applied on ears) of the V700 by bending the headband vigorously - they deform after a while. I doubt they'd let you do that in a shop though
biggrin.gif

I've only short experience of the 7506 and I'd therefore hate to venture my opinions.

As for the other closed phones regularly recommended here, I have the HD280 and they're perfect for the use that I've found for them - editing the audio that I record on minidiscs. They've become pretty indespensable for this purpose, although I'd never 'just listen' to music or venture outside with them.

I've also been listening to the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 and the Technics RP-DJ1200A. While my initial impression in comparison with the V700DJ was that the RP-DJ1200A was mediocre value, in comparison with the DT250-80 they're not bad at all. I must say I didn't expect such a hyped (here) phone like the DT250 to nonpluss me so much. (Based on A/B's between DT250, RPDJ1200A, HD280Pro, MDR-V700, DT231, HD212Pro, MDR-D66 - yes, they're all in my house at the moment
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #29 of 30
Sure, I agree that the MDR-V700DJ can be fun to listen to - with certain types of music. But the V700DJ just didn't cut it for me, since I mostly listen to somewhat "gentler" styles of music (which require headphones and/or loudspeakers that are capable of rendering much of the finer details of the music).

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #30 of 30
Eagle-Driver-
I can understand what you mean. Alot of the stuff I listen to is kind of "full bore" music that doesn't have alot of the subtleties that classical and jazz does. The 700's are more for someone who likes a good live rock show or hangs out in the clubs alot. So for the rocker who doesn't want to quite spend the money on a pair of Grado SR225's, the V700's would be an good closed headphone alternative (but won't give the clarity that the 225's will-- it's a trade-off for the isolation, plus the fact that Sony seems to make the 700's VERY easy to drive, even from the wimpy headphone outs of their current crop of players).

I did get a chance to try the MDR-7505's-- interesting in that they provide the same clarity of the 7506's but without that deep deep bass (and certainly not the overpowering mid-bass of the 700's). They would be an interesting pair to try out and see if their top end softens a little with use...

appar111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back