Just got the K702, and say sound "AMAZING"!!!!!
Aug 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

opponentmule2

WARNING! DO NOT TRADE! FEEDBACK IS FROM A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT!
IP Address matches arachon101, Holy8414171
My my, I just receieved a pair of K702 used with 30-40 hours on them. This is my second pair of "real" headphones, my first being the ATH M50. 

And what can i say, at first they sounded to have a little more detail than the M50, however i can tell right away they've 10000000x better sound stage. And this is from plugging them into my Iphone! 

After a few hours of listening, and i can say they're just getting better and better!!! Even when plugged into my Iphone, they sound so much cleaner than the M50 in every single aspect! They sound amazing to my amature ears!! 

What's more to get me excited is that i know they hadn't even reach half of their potenial! With a good amp, i know these will just blow me away. 

This is the part i need some help. Choosing my first DAC/Amp for these picky headphones! 

I'm considering a few options, and feel free to suggest a lot more!

1. Get a E12 + Modi.

2. Magni + Modi 

3. Little Dot III + Modi

3. Atune T1

4. Matrix M-stage with a DAC???? (not sure which)

5. And i know my wallet's not going to appreciate this, get a used Lyr + Modi/Bifrost. 

Now my question is, is the Lyr really worth the mutiple times of extra money? I read GREAT reviews for every single one of the amps i've considered. However, i'm just really confused as to what should i choose?

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Have you considered the O2+ODAC Combo from JDS Labs?  It is an amp/DAC combo designed to not only sound great, but measure tremendously well.

The combo runs anywhere from $250 - $300 depending on what you end up with and where you acquire it.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

Glad you like the new cans!

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Awesome, dude. Glad you got your headphones. :D

K702 can be difficult to drive, so using the E12 with your iPhone would give you some better sound.

However, since those are open headphones, how much do you really need a portable amp? Let that be a decision factor, and then go with either (1) or (2). I think either would be a good solid step up over an iPhone. There is one other factor that might lean your decision more toward the Modi/Magni: E12 is prone to EMI. See ClieOS's review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/655283/impression-fiio-e12-mont-blanc-way-to-pinnacle I don't know if it's a problem with iPhone or not.

Start there. Attend a head-fi meetup in your area so you can hear other equipment. Then think about more expensive tube amps on down the road. Sounds like you are just now getting into audio equipment. It's a journey. You don't have to try to get there all at once :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm just not entirely sure with so many choices, and i live a few hundred miles from the closest meet, which means i probably won't be able to attend. 

I was wondering how does the Lyr or let's say one of the tube amps i suggested run the K702? I heard some great reviews with the K702 and Lyr, especially with the Bifrost, but i probably can afford a modi if i purchase a Lyr. How much of a difference can i expect from a Lyr vs Magni or something else

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions on the music guys. will be sure to check them out.

But do you guys know a really good combo of amp/dac?

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 12
You can read a bit about the O2+ODAC vs The Modi/Magni Schiit Stack:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Just ordered a E12 + Modi. I was told that the E12 have almost the same SQ as a Magni. The portablity will be very nice, and i think it'll be a great choice because i'll have a great portable amp too when i upgrade to an Lyr or something. 

Got all the cables required as well. Paid 235 for the E12 + L9 + Modi + RCA to 3.5/USB cables. I think it's a pretty solid setup for a beginner overall paired with my K702. 

Can't wait for these items to arrive 

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Do you guys think this was a good choice for an entry level audiophile?

Hehe, this is the beginning of a long long road. I'm sure my wallet will love the upgrades every few months

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Do you guys think this was a good choice for an entry level audiophile?

Hehe, this is the beginning of a long long road. I'm sure my wallet will love the upgrades every few months

The E12 should handle the K702 to satisfying levels. 
smile.gif

not a bad start.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 12
Anyone know how much of a upgrade would a Lyr be over a E12? I heard some quite good reviews on it, so i might get one down the road. 

Also, is there any other form of FLAC or other good forms of music that's cheaper to buy than 15 dollar CDs on amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back