Just got the HD595's
Mar 12, 2004 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Well I promised an inital review and then follow ups as they burn in. They have been in my possession for less than 30 minutes so far. I'm just testing them out for now. First things I notice they are not as detailed as my HD650's, soundstage is not as wide. Everything seems kind of thrown together. With the cd3000's and 650's you can hear the audience, their movements, their chairs, comments etc.... With the 595's, I put in a cd and noticed it wasn't entirely missing, but you really had to strain to hear it. Everytthing does feel closer to you on these phones. Like someone else mentioned with some phones you feel as though you are in the 4th or 5th row, now I feel like I'm right in his mouth,
biggrin.gif
. That's from listening to Kirk Whalum introducing his band. I don't know if I prefer it like this though, I rather have the feeling that I'm in the audience listening, so you can hear more detail. Everything is definitely more upfront and in your face than the 650's and even the cd3000's. It kind of feels like you are getting more upfront presentation, but at the cost of soundstage and details from the background and the environment.
They are built quite solid, they look something like a CEO would keep in his office to do some listening to. They don't fell flimsy, the weight is very nice, but keep in mind I'm not one that likes really light headphones. The weight is very balanced between the 2 drivers and they are comfortable. They feel almost exactly like the 650's on.
Unamped out of my powerbook, I was not impressed. It doesn't do a terrible job, but it definitely needs an amp to get loud. The A900's kick their butts unamped. The thing I do like about these over the a900's and cd3000's in their neutrality. That's one thing I do notice. They are much more neutral than the other ones. If only everything else was up to par, these would be a definite winner.
All these are just from 30 min utes of listening, so take it with a grain of salt. I will be listening and letting them burn in over the next 3 days.
If you have any specific questions on how they compare to any type o headphone I've listened to, then pleasse feel free to ask them and I will try my best to give you an accurate detailed answer. bYou can see all the headphones I've listened to in my profile.
*edit* I forgot to mention I'm listening from my home setup, not the portable. So my DVP 685 and PPA.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

The thing I do like about these over the a900's and cd3000's in their neutrality. That's one thing I do notice. They are much more neutral than the other ones. If only everything else was up to par, these would be a definite winner.

Are the A900 and CD3000 significantly colored, and if so, how would you describe it vs. the Senns neutrality?

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by GanChan
Are the A900 and CD3000 significantly colored, and if so, how would you describe it vs. the Senns neutrality?

The a900's and cd3k are not overly colored, IMO. The Senn's just sound more natural to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back