Just got the Er6i and i got some inserting questions...
Apr 26, 2006 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
Whats the difference of the tri flanges and the bi flangles?

Does anybody have a picture or direction how to insert them properly?Im not sure if this is normal, but its a bit painful but its my first IEM experience..

Any tips? When I chew things like gum....my ears start to hurt with them in...

Apr 26, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 28
Well, it's not a good idea to chew anything in general while wearing IEM's. First of all, you can't hear the music.
smily_headphones1.gif
Second of all, you might lose your seal. Third of all, I guess it could hurt your ears; I don't know.

Some people prefer foamies over flanges. It's up to you to decide what you like best.

EDIT
I noticed you've been making a lot of threads on the er6i recently. Why don't you just have one thread for all your 6i questions?

Apr 26, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 28
To me it sounds like you have created a high pressure area in your ear canal by stuffing the IEM strait in, I had this when I first got my E2Cs. The trick is you need to lift your ear lobe up and out while pushing the IEM into your ear canal, then you hold the IEM in place and let the ear lobe down. You get a seal but not the pressure. It helps the sound but also makes it much more comfortable.

The pain you are experiencing while chewing gum is probably a result of this pressure you created in your ear and I doubt it's a good idea to create pressure like that on a regular basis, especially if it hurts... I do find that I loose my seal when I eat something. I've seen some suggest opening your jaw wide when your inserting the IEM and that may help but I feel too embarrased to do that in public haha.

If you are talking about pain in the ear canal that's somewhat normal I'd say. When I first got my E2Cs I was trying a bunch of different tips to find the right size for me and my ear canals were a bit sensitive for about a week but once I found the right sized ones (good seal, comfortable etc.) I havn't had any discomfort. They almost dissapear after a few minutes.

Read the manual that came with your ER6is it may actually show you this. I know the manual that came with my Shure E2Cs did. I can't see why this wouldn't apply to any other type of universal fit IEM (with some kind of sleeve, not a foam obviously).

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 28
By the way guys, what do I say to etyomtic represenative to get the free sample pack? Will they send me a smaller version of the foams cause the ones they gave me(orange) is a bit big for me..thanks

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 28
Since I dont want to start a new thread , I'll just make a summary of questions

1) You can just call them for some smaller foams cause the default foam didnt fit me that well?

2)Anybody has a link to how to insert iems's properly?

3)Asian people tend to have small ear canals?( im talking about the majority of them)

4)How you take away the clip in the middle of the wires? Will it snap if i pull it too hard (the wires look cheap and fragile...)

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Since I dont want to start a new thread , I'll just make a summary of questions

1) You can just call them for some smaller foams cause the default foam didnt fit me that well?

2)Anybody has a link to how to insert iems's properly?

3)Asian people tend to have small ear canals?( im talking about the majority of them)

1. Yes.

2. Read the manual...there was some guide on Headroom's site, but I can't find it.

3. No idea.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 28
The manual is very vague...it just tells you to hold ur ears up and push...

For some reason, is it possible that my left canal is bigger than my right? I can slip one bi fangle fine...but the right one hurts a bit....and it doesnt go in as deep...

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 28
moisten the flange with some water of saliva, and insert with a gentle twisting motion. you will get the hang of it, after a week or two it will be completely natural.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 28
yes but not dramatically, just enough to ease it in. and yeah its a bit nasty, but i do it by licking my fingers, then the flange. it really helps it ease in comfortably, and it seals much better when a little wet too.

dont be sqeemish when doing it, and if you go too far, pull it back, then push it forward a little.

as i said, it takes practice, and you will find a method that works well for you in a short while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back