Just got the E5s
Mar 6, 2004 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WindyCityCy

100+ Head-Fier
These may replace my HD25s altogether. I used them with my iPod for about 2 hours at the healthclub immediately after purchasing and I was quite impressed. This was with the yellow foamies. Do these things improve much with burn-in? And if so, how long to reach full burn-in. I may have to get the triple flanges from Shure to see what they provide also.

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Truthfully, I really didn't notice any change with my E5's over the break in period. I could be wrong, but I don't feel the break in theory applies as much with canalphones. Anyways, I'd highly reccomend a set of tri-flanges for your E5's. They're my favorite sleeves by far for their combination of both comfort and sound quality.

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 6
It seems to me that ear break-in is pretty imoportant when it comes to the shures. They have a different sound that takes a little while to get used to.

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Ditto, I'm not really sure bur-in applies to these as the sound didn't seem to alter much over a period of weeks. Much bigger gains were aquired elsewhere in the chain. The tri-flanges are really good sounding if they fit and are comfortable to you. I couldn't wear them myself without discomfort in a very short time but the my canals are a wierd shape
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by smeggy
Ditto, I'm not really sure bur-in applies to these as the sound didn't seem to alter much over a period of weeks. Much bigger gains were aquired elsewhere in the chain. The tri-flanges are really good sounding if they fit and are comfortable to you. I couldn't wear them myself without discomfort in a very short time but the my canals are a wierd shape
tongue.gif

Did you try trimming the stem? Without this mod, I had a difficult time inserting the whole tri-flange sleeve into my ear (it was just too long at the stock length).

Mar 7, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Congrats on the E5 purchase. Glad to hear you are enjoying them. I would definitely give the tri-flanges an audition. This is my sleeve fo choice although I did enjoy the foamies as well. But I found the tri-flange to be easier to take out/put in repeatedly (important with all the flying I do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back