Just got my Yuin PK1's
Jun 29, 2007 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

callanish

100+ Head-Fier
Decided to take the plunge on the PK1's and I'm really, really impressed. Didn't do any burn in; just wanted to hear what they had to offer right out of the wooden box. In a word amazing. I kept cupping my ears to feel if maybe some full size headphone's had jumped on to my head. I'm pink noising for burn in as I type this and look forward to hearing their full potential. Just can't handle canal phones in my ear, so that's why I went for the Pk1's.

I have them hooked up to my 5.5 Gen Ipod and a well built Cmoy ( Waiting on my supermicro IV from Xin, but probably won't get that until Christmas
lambda.gif
). Still, I was really concerned about driving these earbuds after reading some of the posts, but my Cmoy has actually surprised me as after listening to the PK 1's for a few hours, I ask myself can these things truly sound even better!

But......the buying game goes on and I'm trying to find a 2 - 3 inch black ipod dock to line in cable to go with my black ipod to connect to the black opaque supermicro IV that I'm waiting on (I'm going through a black everything phase right now). I'm not looking for ultimate portability ( How can that be with even the smallest of amps, plus I've got enough flash players for that ). Still, the skin I've got my ipod in will do nicely so I can velcro the supermicro to the back of it and that's where that 2 - 3 inch ipod dock cable to lineout would come in handy. ( Any suggestions anyone? ). Added to Xin's amp and those PK-1's, I think I'm going to wet myself with happiness.

Anyway, back to those PK-1's. Head-direct shipped out fast ( three days coast to coast ) and they were packaged well. I can already see these are going to be my ipod / supermicro portable headphone of choice for sometime well in to the future and since I don't need to add what's already been said about the Pk-1's, I can only conclude by saying I didn't think earbuds were allowed to sound this good being they are just so damn portable as well. Frankly I'm shocked and stunned!

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 13
nice..i have a great time with my pk2 as well..

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 13
Yup. The Pk1's are awesome. I don't amp them and they sound about 80% of how they sound amped. =T Good enough for me for simplicity's sake.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. The Pk1's are awesome. I don't amp them and they sound about 80% of how they sound amped. =T Good enough for me for simplicity's sake.

x2.... great unamped out of my PCDPs. I'm thoroughly enjoying my pair.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 13
You're right. I had no idea earbuds could sound this good. I can only do iems for short periods before I go nuts, and these were the perfect solution. I love my PK1s, and, by the way, surpising for earbuds, these things actually scale and sound even better with better amps and sources. As a lark, I once tried them with my home rig and I was laughing because they sounded so good. I'm listening to them now in bed with an imod/PRII. Good sound and 100%comfort, and if I accidently fall asleep with them...no worries. I consider them to be one of my best head-fi purchases.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Mine has over, 1000 hrs on it, used it as an output to burn in two of my amps. Now it sounds very clear, sweet and dynamic, bass is also very defined. I just got a Grado SR-225 last week, and I'm still wondering if I really need the Grado, PK1 sounds better overall and seems more transparent and relax compared to the Grados, but maybe its because the Grado only has 50 hrs of burn-in time.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 13
No matter how good the Pk1's are, I'll never forgo a full sized can. The Pk1's sound great, but it's not as immersive as my RS-2 or K701.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 13
There's not much isolation with the Yuins, possibly even slightly less isolation than a regular earbud, so they wouldn't block out much of the airplane noise.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 13
For flights, I can't recommend either. I'd go for some full sized closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back