Just got my X-Can V2 ! G R E A T !
Mar 12, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by mail4u
Be careful up with these adapter upgrades. I got the Ault adapter and noticed the X-can ran noticably hotter. Somewhere else a person mentioned he burnt out his amp with an upgrade like this. I've stopped using the adapter for the time being. However, it does improve the sound.

By the way it was highly recommended in these forums upgrading the adapter for the ART D/IO. I followed it and now the ART is dead. Caused by too much current? I dunno.

You could also open it up so that air can flow through the beast. I did that when it was my office system.

Mar 13, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #32 of 54
After a few days of listening my x-can v2...

I think they sound great with selected records, but...
sometimes with a lot o others, I find them too bright, too clear sounding, a little agressive to my ears.

Does someone has the same sensation?

Or some of the pink floyd and yello album are recorded too bright... I don't think so!

Do I need already a tube upgrade... and a PSU... ? :frowning2:

Sandro.

Mar 13, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 54
Yes.. X-Can is a bit bright at first, and IMO that's why HD600 matches the best with this. You also need some time to burn in X-cans... Some people say X-PSU also improve X-can's bass...

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #34 of 54
Just been listening to my nice new X-Can and X-PSU.
The source is currently a Toshiba SD-2200 DVD palyer (soon to be replaced).

I have to say ...... I am stunned at the bass you can get in a pair of headphones!!!!

The HD-600's sound amazing with DJ Tiesto's Summer Breeze cranked up. The Division Bell is excellent thru headphones.

Wife is now fed up with a large portion of my 800 CD's on the living room floor - I just keep having to listen to more and more CD's.

Also went to investigate a new CD player - auditioned the Musical Fidelity A3.2 and the Naim CD5. The Naim blew me away!!! Amazing sound, tight, punchy but never harsh.

Mar 17, 2003 at 10:05 AM Post #35 of 54
I can personally attest that the X-PSU makes a HUGE difference in the sonics (particularly in the low end) of the X-Cans V2. I don't know what impact some of the after market PSU's have, but I understand that it is similar. Highly recommended.

Mar 17, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 54
What tubes are you using rgame666?

The Edicrons that I installed, the original JPs... or something else?

Glad you like it btw
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Sandro
...I think they sound great with selected records, but...
sometimes with a lot o others, I find them too bright, too clear sounding, a little agressive to my ears.

Does someone has the same sensation?

Do I need already a tube upgrade... and a PSU... ?

Sounds like rolling tubes should fix your problem. Also, give it a chance to burn in, if either your amp or headphones are new (I forget if you already mentioned this detail). Quote:

Or some of the pink floyd and yello album are recorded too bright... I don't think so!

Definitely not! Alan Parsons uses Yello as one of the recordings on one of his reference CD's...and we all know about Pink Floyd...

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #38 of 54
Sandro,

Looks like you are getting into full swing with the X-Cans. IMHO, the upgraded power supply will help in bass and soundstage. For the bright treble, you will have to roll the tubes. The stock JAN Phillips 6922 are known to be bright sounding in the X-Cans. Check out Nick Dangerous site on tube rolling X-Cans:

http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/xcans/index.htm

to get you started.

If you need help on this and various NOS tubes, I'll be glad to share my experiences.

Regards

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #39 of 54
MF do make some great products.The XLP2 monobloc phono stage (now deleted) is as good as anything upto £1200.

As for the current Trivista line of products the SACD player is absolutely fantastic and can easily compete with CD/SACD players upto £7000.I have this player and it's one of the most natural and organic machines I've come across.

Mar 19, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 54
Elrod Tom,

does the x-psu makes so great bass improvment into the x-can? The price in belgium is about 300€/300$... as the x-can. And I don't want to use a cheap transformer (Ault like, even if they are very good products) to feed them, I'm afraid in definitively burn out my new amp... Is it a good buy, reasonable buy?

Dusty Chalk,

I'll buy some new tubes soon, Mullards or Sylvania... don't know yet.
How much time do I have to burn my amp in to obtain the maximal quality level? What IS burn in, is it just to keep it plugged in, or does it needs to be connected to a pair of headphones and to play music? How much time? My amp is new but I have my HD600 for a year.
And of course I know Yello and Pink Floyd are perfectly recorded, that was just a little ironic... my english is not perfect :wink: And that's why I was surprised in the strange apparent brighteness of some of their albums...

ddriveman,

No, I still LOVE my amp, but I don't understand why it's able to sound GREAT G R E A T G R E A T with some records, and to become unpleasant with others... which are also VERY well recorded! As you suggest, I need a tuberolling...

Thank you all for your recent replies,

All the best,

Sandro.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

does the x-psu makes so great bass improvment into the x-can? The price in belgium is about 300€/300$... as the x-can. And I don't want to use a cheap transformer (Ault like, even if they are very good products) to feed them, I'm afraid in definitively burn out my new amp... Is it a good buy, reasonable buy?

I would still recommend this upgrade, it's really necessary for the full performance. Even the Ault is 90% of the improvement for a fraction of the price. Quote:

I'll buy some new tubes soon, Mullards or Sylvania... don't know yet.
How much time do I have to burn my amp in to obtain the maximal quality level? What IS burn in, is it just to keep it plugged in, or does it needs to be connected to a pair of headphones and to play music? How much time?

You should have headphones plugged in and playing music, that is the best way, yes. You will see some disagreement about how long. Some people say that you should just go ahead and listen, and it will improve by itself, and eventually, you'll just notice that it sounds better. I would give it at least a day or two. Quote:

And of course I know Yello and Pink Floyd are perfectly recorded, that was just a little ironic... my english is not perfect :wink: And that's why I was surprised in the strange apparent brighteness of some of their albums...

No, your English was fine, I was just reinforcing your own determination (that what you were hearing should not have been bright).

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #42 of 54
Sandro,

I didn't mean that you are no longer enjoying your X-Cans. What I meant by "full swing" is that you are getting to understand the capabilities and true of the X-Cans (very quickly too - considering that you just got it).
As you said, there is nothing wrong with some recordings but what you are hearing is the bright treble and forward balance of the X-Cans. I have the same experience. Try the JJ 6922 first as this is cheap and readily available before you embark on more expensive NOS like Mullard, Siemens, Amperex and Telefunkens. I don't think Sylvania makes outstanding 6922/6DJ8 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back