Just got my Woo Audio 6 w/ PDPS upgrade. First impressions from someone new to this world...
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
Wow. This is my first real headphone setup with a DAC and headphone amp. I just can't imagine the sound getting much better. And since I'm new to tubes, I can't wait to hear what differences the Sophia rectifier tube upgrade brings. I'll be purchasing one of those in a month, most likely. I guess this is probably the beginning of a journey where I spend much more than I should and regret at least half of my purchases.
tongue.gif

I can't believe that this is only the beginning. Everything sounds so incredible. So warm but detailed.

I'm not really sure what else to say now. I have yet to build up an audiophile vocabulary.
wink.gif

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum who has either helped me directly or posted in threads that I researched before making decisions for my first setup.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Congrates on your new Woo
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a fantastic amplifier especially with the PDPS Mod.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. This is my first real headphone setup with a DAC and headphone amp. I just can't imagine the sound getting much better. And since I'm new to tubes, I can't wait to hear what differences the Sophia rectifier tube upgrade brings. I'll be purchasing one of those in a month, most likely. I guess this is probably the beginning of a journey where I spend much more than I should and regret at least half of my purchases.
tongue.gif

I can't believe that this is only the beginning. Everything sounds so incredible. So warm but detailed.

I'm not really sure what else to say now. I have yet to build up an audiophile vocabulary.
wink.gif

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum who has either helped me directly or posted in threads that I researched before making decisions for my first setup.

Until you get the Sophia Princess...

... get yourself a couple of Raytheon 6EW7s to run with the stock Sovtek 5U4G or a Tung Sol 5U4G... and... you'll be amazed!

Or... the RCA 6FD7s also sound very similar with the same rectifier tubes.

Sounds very much like the Sophia Princess in combo with 6DE7s - at a fraction of the price!

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... get yourself a couple of Raytheon 6EW7s to run with the stock Sovtek 5U4G or a Tung Sol 5U4G... and... you'll be amazed!

Sounds very much like the Sophia Princess in combo with 6DE7s - at a fraction of the price!

I used the Tung Sol 5U4G with the WA6 SE. It's really a nice tube. Very warm and pleasant sound.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the Tung Sol 5U4G with the WA6 SE. It's really a nice tube. Very warm and pleasant sound.

Yes... but... its the combination of tubes that makes all the difference - the Raytheon 6EW7s have the open, airy, detailed soundstage, plus the PRAT and impact, and rich mids, when used in combination with the Sovtek, or Tung Sol 5U4Gs. Although, the better combo is with the Sovtek. Though I should note... that... the Raytheons sound almost as good with the Sylvania or Philco 5U4G rectifiers - just a bit brighter.

The sound is very much like the PRAT and impact of the Tung Sol, or RCA, or Amperex 6DE7s... but... with the air, detail and soundstage of the 6EW7s, in general. Much like the combo of those 6DE7s with the Sophia Princess.

That is not true of... say... the Sylvania 6EW7s in combo with those rectifiers. They sound a bit brighter and leaner, than the Raytheons do.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or... the RCA 6FD7s also sound very similar with the same rectifier tubes.

I'll think about it. From my reading, I think the stock drive/power tubes with the Sophia rectifier will get me the sound I'm looking for.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll think about it. From my reading, I think the stock drive/power tubes with the Sophia rectifier will get me the sound I'm looking for.

Yeah... hey... its only money - yours.

Keep in mind... the differences in the sound are pretty subtle. And... at $150 "a pop" such subtlety may not always be fully appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back