Just got my Westone UM2! (Pics inside)
Dec 16, 2005 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lsportline43

500+ Head-Fier
Here are the pics:

iaudiom3lwithum21aq.jpg

um2withcomplytipsandm3l0vq.jpg

iaudiom3lwithum2complytips6bv.jpg

The sound straight out of the M3 is great. There's basically NO hiss when directly out of the M3. I'm not using my remote right now because it started malfunctioning. The remote started to make a lot of hiss just before I got my UM2s. This means I'll have to pay $55 for an iAudio X5 remote.

Right now I am using the Comply tips. Tried the tri-flange and modded bi-flange, but I don't like how they feel in the ear. With the Comply Standards I don't even feel the UM2s in my ear. The Complys are great for extended periods of use. Also isolation is great.

All I can say is the sound is very balanced. The bass is not overwhelming, but definitely an improvement over my previous IEM, the Shure E2c. I'll have to let the UM2s burn in before really judging the sound.

By the way I bought these from Earphonesolutions.com with their Head-fi 15% discount. Great doing business with them!

Dec 17, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 13
Great that you're enjoying them =P I too got my UM2's and couldn't be happier... well, except for the fact that they've showed me just how crappy my ipod mini's headphone out SQ is =P.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43

All I can say is the sound is very balanced. The bass is not overwhelming, but definitely an improvement over my previous IEM, the Shure E2c. I'll have to let the UM2s burn in before really judging the sound.

By the way I bought these from Earphonesolutions.com with their Head-fi 15% discount. Great doing business with them!

I'm glad you're enjoying the earphones, but the UM2's with the comply tips are not balanced by anyone's standard.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
I'm glad you're enjoying the earphones, but the UM2's with the comply tips are not balanced by anyone's standard.

They're the only tips I've used, for an extended period of time, so far. I am very happy with the sound that I get with them. I'll be acquiring some different tips, so I guess my experience can only get better!
icon10.gif
Any recommendations as to which tips I should try?

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
They're the only tips I've used, for an extended period of time, so far. I am very happy with the sound that I get with them. I'll be acquiring some different tips, so I guess my experience can only get better!
icon10.gif
Any recommendations as to which tips I should try?

Well, there are Shure's foam tips, which is a lot more balanced than the Westone one.

Some people also like Shure's silicon grey tips, it is very comfortable for most people, but at the cost of isolation.

I still find tri-flange sounds the best, and indeed, I do not find them comfortable at first, but after some weeks of getting used to it, I am now finding them more comfy than the foam.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent117
have a good time with them , im thinking about purchasing them too , could you tell me about the 15% head-fi discount?

Thx

...you get 15% off for being a head-fi member, making them cost 255. Go check out the post by flavio on the members of trade sponsored forum.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 13
I liked the Shure E2C more because of the detail in the midrange.. don't get me wrong, the UM2's highs and lows are clearer, punchier, more detailed.. but soundwise it just wasn't for me.. they didn't even improve that much with my home amp..

compared to the etymotic er4, they are somewhat more comfortable, but the pain that started coming from the 'cable wrapped behind ear design' was irritating.. er4 improves A LOT on my amp, and doesn't hurt at all..

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
...you get 15% off for being a head-fi member, making them cost 255. Go check out the post by flavio on the members of trade sponsored forum.

I wonder whether or not this deal is still available. Last time I checked Flavio's post no longer displayed the 15% discount deal. Though it does still show the 30% discount deal for select items.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 13
I was thinking about getting the Shure Clear Silicon sleeves. That's what I used with my Shure E2c. Right now I am still using the Comply Tips and the comfort is better than anything I've used.

As for the silicon grey tips... I don't think they'll work for me. If they don't isolate well then I wouldn't use them. Also a friend of mine says they are difficult to use or I think he means difficult to insert.

Also do you guys have any idea where I should buy my tips? Any places that have lots of tips for good deals?

Dec 17, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Well, there are Shure's foam tips, which is a lot more balanced than the Westone one.

Are you referring to the Westone complys? I too recently purchased the UM2's along with a variety of tips to try out. So far I like the Westone foamies the best. I'm assuming these are the same or similar to the Shure foamies which I haven't tried. I also tried the Shure clear flex tips but did not like them at all. Using the small tips, I couldn't get them to stay in my ears and if I tried to push them in deeper they caused me pain.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 13
hi,

here is another westone-um2-&-dap-combo.

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

of course, i´ve got my westone um2 from earphonesolutions too, about 4 weeks ago.

but: i´ve got only the ten-percent-off...
mad.gif
etysmile.gif
(joke)

before the um2 i owned the shure e2 and shure e3. both iem were selled after one week with my new um2.
i am still trying different tips, my choice till today are the yellow shure foamies und the modded bi-flange tips.

have a nice day.

björn

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey dethi72. Great to see more people with the UM2s. Ever since I got my UM2s I cannot get myself to stop listening to music. The sound is just incredible. These earphones are never fatiguing. I really think I will be keeping these until I go custom iem.

That's an iRiver H10 right? Is there much hiss coming from the player when you use it? My M3L does not hiss when using it straight out of the main unit, but does when out of the remote. Well actually I don't know how much it does hiss when using the remote because mine broke, but I've read that the iAudio remote does make some hiss. (And I mean does it hiss with the UM2.)

By the way any one who has the UM2, post pics of it with your player. just for fun.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back