Just got my SRH1440's
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nextinline77

New Head-Fier
My 1440's came today and I'm not so sure they're a keeper for me. The highs/mids sound awesome and have great clarity but I'm finding the bass to be lacking. It's clear but it just doesn't have much punch to it, right now I'm just using them right into an audio interface so I'm not sure if an amp will make much difference? Anyways is there some way for me to get more bass out of them? I really don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging them as they were purchased online and I'd hate to sacrifice the clarity and instrument separation I'm getting with these. I just want a little more bass :/ If there's no way to do this I picked these up for $250 what other options are there in that price range? I really want something with equal clarity I just want more bass....

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, let's compare the Shure SRH1440 against another well-known $300 headphone, the Sennheiser Momentum:

I think it's pretty easy to see why you might find the Shure lacks bass, but has such excellent clarity.

IMHO, an amp won't help.

If you try to EQ the bass up, you will probably mess with the lower mids and potentially create more problems than it's worth. But, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try - just boost the bass in your PC and see what happens.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Maybe the SRH-1540 or SRH-840's would be better? Similar clarity with more bass

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I tried boosting the bass on my pc. It just muddied up the sound. I'll check out the 1540 and 840.

Any opinions on the Beyer DT990? What about the Hifiman HE400? I've heard those have better bass but will I lose the clarity I'm getting with the 1440? If so what do I need to get both clarity and a decent amount of bass? Or even the HD600 I should be able to get those for around $100 more, I just don't want to sacrifice clarity or go through the trouble of exchanging them only to find out that what I get instead doesn't have much bass either. Maybe I'm just not used to open back headphones yet?

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Has anyone tried the Dale Thorn mod? I know there seems to be some mixed opinions on him in general and I'd be cutting up my spare ear pads and committing to the headphones. It doesn't really seem possible that a little extra foam would improve the bass much but I really want to keep these headphones and I absolutely love the clarity :/

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Read about the PSB M4U1. It has excellent clarity and bass at 299USD.

The 399USD PSB-M4U2 has that and an added amp integrated into the headphone that u can c link on for better everything including bass.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 9
  Has anyone tried the Dale Thorn mod? I know there seems to be some mixed opinions on him in general and I'd be cutting up my spare ear pads and committing to the headphones. It doesn't really seem possible that a little extra foam would improve the bass much but I really want to keep these headphones and I absolutely love the clarity :/

Did you try the foam mod finally ?? I'm thinking about getting the SRH1440 and was wondering if the mod does any good.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 9
I had the dt990 which I liked. Never tried all the others but I can have the srh1440 for about 200 $CAD and I think it is a good price. This is why I m leaning towards it but still curious about that mod lol !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back