Just got my Sony MDR-1RNC
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stickersteve

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone else has these. I just got mine and have been listening to them for about an hour now. I plugged them right away into my iphone in non noise cancelling mode while I charged them up. I thought they sounded OK. The sound seemed a little muffled in the passive mode. I could not wait for a full charge so after about 10 minutes I turned the noise cancelling. It was light night and day, but I am still getting used to them. As soon as I turned them on they became very bright. The highs were almost overwhelming compared to when they were turned off. It also seems that when they are turned on that some of the base went away. With them off there seemed like a lot of bass, with them on it seemed like not enough. They are easily powered by my iphone though. I am only using half the volume that I need with my Ultrasone 900's. They have some type of amp circuit built in when they are turned on. So far, they sound great. I was also thinking about trying the Vmoda 100's dont want to play the return game. I do like these much better than the Ultrasone edition 8 that I sent back. These are my first noise cancelling headphones though and I dont seem to understand the concept. I dont really notice much of a difference in outside noise with them on or off. I can still hear cars go by with them turned on. It says there are 3 modes that get automatically detected in case you are on a plane or in a vehicle but I had planned on just using these at home. I am wondering if the noise cancelling is overkill for home use. So far they are very comfortable. I just wanted a high quality headphone that was full size and had the 3 buttons cable for the iphone so I can work and take calls.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 3
This is a follow up to my own post. Can someone explain noise cancelling to me. Should it only be used when you actually need it like on a plane or train? I feel like the sound is better while under normal conditions with the noise cancelling off.

Steve

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Noise cancelling circuitry usually introduces more hiss while in a quiet environment. You don't hear it in a noisy environment because the low-range hiss is whats counter-acting the outside noise to produce the noise cancelling. You can read more about it here if you'd like, interesting stuff.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/audio-music/noise-canceling-headphone.htm

Anyway, if you have no need for the noise-cancelling just shut it off since the headphones sound better in passive mode.

Namaste,
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back