Just got my Sony CD3000s. What's the burn-in time?
Jun 27, 2001 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
This is in no way my definitive review on these that I'll surely post later.

Instant knee-jerk reaction after 4 hours and 2 days of use:

1. Sorry Grado lovers, these err more toward the HD600 sound.
2. Good bass slam, more impacting than HD600. Really good, but deep as HD600? Too soon to tell.
3. "Sweet" treble
4. Slight mid-bass emphasis?
5. Bass sound "bigger" than HD600
6. Good with female vocals
7. I can turn my ZOTL down a couple notches compared to where it was with HD600s
8. Very comfortable but not as snug as HD600 (I like my HD600s tight and sealed, so apparently that makes me a crackpot on two counts)
9. Even though they are closed, they are no more sound-proof than the HD600s.
10. The gauzy covering on the cable spells trouble down the line-- I can easily see it fraying or ripping
11. I can now hear a buzz that I believe is coming from my pre-amp. It disappears when I put the 600s back on.
12. Good overall, all-around performer on a variety of musical styles.

Overall, damn good so far. They will be competition for my beloved (and self-sealed!) HD600s.

So-- what is burn-in like on CD3000--how long does it take, and what changes should I look for?

markl
--crackpot--

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I found that the 3000s didn't change much after about 20-30 hours of continuous use, and the changes after break in were noticeable but subtle: slightly deeper bass, slightly smoother, slightly blacker background. Mine sounded great right out of the box and improved marginally over time, so don't expect any radical changes. However, I still find myself liking these headphones more and more after a couple of months, in preference to my Senns, Beyers and Grados.

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 4

>11. I can now hear a buzz that I believe is coming from my pre-amp. It disappears when I put the 600s back on.

CD3000 is a VERY SENSITIVE cans and have lower inpedance/resistance than HD600.

I am agreed with Ross. It tooks about from few week to few months for CD3000 to burn-in, and it depends to the source signal and level.

I think burn-in using continous WHITE-NOISE for more than 48 hours might be a good idea. Everyone can correct me if I am wrong here..

If you have Linux, you can generate continous random/white-noise using this simple command

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

Comparing other headphones using WHITE-NOISE seem to be interesting too, because we may hear sound colorization characteristics.

IMHO, burn-in also means that our ears/mind are trying to learn/adaptating to a new environment. So, if your new headphone can produce sounds that matches your sound taste, it might be shorter burn-in time. That's why I still like my own CD3000 sound characteristics eventhough it is already 10 years old, because it match my TASTE.

Jun 27, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Give those puppies at least 50 hrs. before making any kind of judgement, and 100 hrs. for a real feeling for their abilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back