Just got my shure e4c's....impressions
Dec 17, 2005 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lxxdakinexxl

New Head-Fier
I have been debating for awhile which IEM's to get to replace my Sharp mds33's. After extensive research I found the shure e4c's to be the IEM's that would fit me most. I am not sure if these need time to burn in, but they sound pretty good. First thing I noticed was the smooth midrange. The pianos sound awsome and vocals sound silky smooth. The bass isn't as pronounced or as boomy as other IEM's, but it is accurate and articulate, which I prefer. My only complaint is that they are a tad rolled off in the highs. I have a nice seal and great bass and midrange, but the highs are slightly rolled off. Then again, I am comparing the highs to ribbons, which I prefer my highs for home audio. I also have Senn HD-650's and grado sr80's. I don't even listen to the grados anymore. I think in the near future I am going to try the AKG 701's out. I tried the 501's before and loved the midrange. This forum is great. Thanks for helping me choose an IEM. I would highly recommend the shure e4c's. Very smooth sounding, just a tad rolled off up top. I'd say from 14k on. I would try ety's, but I don't think the midrange or bass will be as good from what I have read.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I bought the E4c a few months ago. I found them at a local pro sound shop for $190. I think they are great for the money.

I will agree that the top end is a bit rolled off.I use mine only for weight lifting at the gym. My source is a Sony HI-MD recorder, I boost the high end with its eq. I use a PA2 also which adds a nice boost to the low-end.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I love my E4s! I use them with a Sony NW-HD1 and really love their sound; smooth, yet dynamic and detailed, never too bright, but lively and capable to communicate emoitions and musicality (a bit like my primare/dynaudio homestereo, probably my SQ-taste).
Treble differs a little bit with the tips; I prefer black Ety-foamtips for comfort and SQ. The triflanges give most treble in my experience.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmmm, weird questions but... describe how much of an upgrade they are/how they compare with the MD33S.

Also, how do they fare against the Senns?

Thanks
580smile.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Hmmm, weird questions but... describe how much of an upgrade they are/how they compare with the MD33S.

Also, how do they fare against the Senns?

Thanks
580smile.gif

They are a pretty big upgrade from the sharps. They are a lot smoother and more detailed. They just sound more refined. The sharps have more bass and peaky highs, which is fun sometimes but not good sq. I think it was a nice upgrade for 190 dollars. As far as the HD650's go. They sennheisers are better headphones. They are more detailed, have a large stage, have better bass and highs and are more refined. The only thing I like more about the shures is the midrange isn't laid back like the senns and they arent as dark sounding. I prefer listening to the HD650's. I use Foobar2000 and eq the midrange and trebble a little on the HD650's to relieve some of the darkness of the cans. I think I definitely want to try out the AKG 701's next.

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
May I ask what you are using your E4C with! Im really considering getting a pair to use with my 5g ipod but was afraid that the bass might be to weak.

If you really like bass I would consider another IEM. While they have bass it isn't that pronounced and might disappoint some people. The bass is good enough for me though.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I got the E4 a couple months ago, and use it from a Meier Porta Corda MkIII and an iPod Mini. Overall opinion is mostly the standard "like them" opinion: really nice mids and details, with rolled off highs. The bass quantity could be a bit more, but actually, if I had to choose between having their bass be louder and quicker, I'd pick quicker.

Dec 18, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxdakinexxl
If you really like bass I would consider another IEM. While they have bass it isn't that pronounced and might disappoint some people. The bass is good enough for me though.

And one way to bring out the range (inclusing bass improvement) of these IEMs is with a portable amp like the Hornet. I was amazed at the e4s' sound with this amazing amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back