Just got my Sennheiser IE6's! First impressions
Mar 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just opened up my new IE6's and gave them a quick listen...

I only have EP630's, and E2c's to really compare. Mostly I have used the E2c's though... Also, this is using a 2G ipod touch...

Packaging: A little form over function in my opinion, took a while to get everything out and situated. The case seems fancy, but I would rather a case like Shure gives than the hard slider thing that Sennheiser uses...

First look: Man these are smaller than I would have thought... The Y splitter on the cable is pretty robust, similar to my E2c's. The material is a semi translucent grey soft rubber... You can see the solder and wires that make the Y connection the angle plug , kinda cool looking. The length is nice, a bit shorter than the older E2c's which I like, I thought those were too long for portable use. The cables are a lot thinner than on the Shure's, but they seem pretty sturdy, on the website and other pictures it looks as though the part of the cable that goes over your ear has some other coating on them, this is not so, it's all the same cable material.

Fit: Very very light, I used the medium sized double flanged eartips. It took a lot longer to get a seal than on the Shure's, but that might be due to t being new to me. Also they do not sit in the ears as far as the Shure's. There is a noticeable amount of sound leaking compared to the Shure's as well, but the backs appear to be semi-open or vented at least. With the music off I could tell that they didn't isolate as well as the Shure's, but once on, I really couldn't tell the difference.

Sound: This is very subjective, and I am probably not a very good judge, also they are not burned in. That said, they sound very very very nice... The nicest I have had. The bass is very clear, maybe not as much as the EP630's but definitely better quality. To me it seems that it's very low, and not as mid bassy as the EP630's, and much more bass than the Shure's. The mids are smooth so far, perhaps slightly less pronounced than the Shures, but not by much, again very clear. The highs were a little disappointing at first, I was hoping to have a little more sparkle on the high end than I had with the Shures, but if anything they seemed a little less. This may not make sense, but I used to use rock or bass booster eq on the ipod with the Shures to get a little more bass out of them (I know it's bad, but it makes casual listening more enjoyable for me), with the IE6, I tried the treble booster and the highs were awesome to my ears. Better than the E2's with the treble boost, plus I didn't miss out on any bass...

So far I love them, I'll se how everything changes as they get properly burned in...

One last quick thought, the ear tips are wicked hard to get on the nozzle... Maybe it was just the double flanges, but holy cats! I wonder if they shrunk in the cold weather? LOL...

I'l keep you updated once I get a better fell, right ow my normal computer is in the Dell shop with a crappy nVidia card, but once that is back I can load some pics if you want...

Thanks for everyones help and recommendations!

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats. Great impression.

The double flange is difficult to get on the IE 8's nozzle as well.

And removing for me... my wax is kinda greasy, so my fingers would keep slifing off

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 10
expect the lows and highs to get better after burning them in.

i upgraded from E2C or rather SCL 2 to IE 7 and somehow it feels weird. Apart from the bass and soundstage, i could tell nothing else is different. Or maybe i just need time to settle into the sound signature.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 10
'gratz on the buy!
smily_headphones1.gif
was thinking 'bout getting the IE6's too, but I was like what the hell, and bought the IE8's instead

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Can you please post a couple of pics of your new iem? I would also like to buy them but unfortunately i couldn't find them in any store in my town and haven't found any real life pics of them on the internet. It would be very kind of you as i want to compare them to the CX6s.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Little bit of an update...

Fit is much better, I know I am a whore to these UE double flange tips but they work great for me. They fit beautifully on the IE6, and the translucent color matches the IE6's connectors and such... kinda a aesthetic plus? These are so comfortable, where sometimes my ears hurt after a few hours with the Shure's, I barley can tell these are in! Still kinda worried about the cables, but they say they are Kevlar reinforced, dunno if that is just a gimmick or not, but they seem pretty strong, (and thin).

I am listening to Jen's Tune by Wolfstone right now, one thing I notice compared to other phones I have used is that different instruments are more easily recognized to different areas in my head... I guess that what "Soundstage" is kinda? Like with my Shures... everything was basically was in front of me and kinda dull unless I upped the volume a good amount. With the IE6's things kinda "pop" out at me, a high hat with a brush is definitely to the left of me, however as weird as it may be, the snare, or similar sound is to the right, with the main melody is right in front. I really dig this... and may better appreciate other genres of recorded music.

I guess typically with electronic music (trance/dance) that may not matter since a lot of the cymbals are kinda on both sides with a small delay going right to left or vice versa, and the sound really doesn't mimic a live performance with sounds coming from different areas in a band...

Treble is still a little weak for me, but I have only about 5 hours of listening in so far. Hopefully it will pick up a little "sparkle" don't know if this is the correct term, but I like the sound of a cymbal decay if that would be the correct term...

Bass is really nice though, obviously bass biased, but you get a nice low punch... again this is purely subjective, but the ep630's sounded like a sub box with two 12" subs with bandpass ports.. kinda boomy, and bass echo-ey, if that makes sense... Where I would say the IE6's are more like a single sub in a sealed box. Maybe not quite as loud, but punchy, deep and clear.

With all that said these are definitely the best earphones I have heard, maybe my views might change if I had something better or equivalent to compare them too, in my case I guess its easy to rave when there is no "real" competition.. LOL...

Thanks again, I'll post some pics, once Dell gives me back my computer!

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Give it a few days to get used to the new sound signature.

I've been burning mine for the past 4 days (100+ hours) and I can see the difference in music. Trebles and highs really open up after that.

BTW, congrats on your new purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back