Just got my Sennheiser HD 598s... but there's a little issue
Dec 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jgott44

New Head-Fier
So my new pair of 598s came in the mail today and I am in love. The sound is superb and of course, they are beautiful.

My one issue though is that the cable is 10ft! Is there any way/place to get a shorter cable OTHER then soldering it? 

Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Having the same problem with my Denon D2k. Although its forgiving of sources and easy to drive, the cord makes it really unportable. I plan on modding it to make it detachable dual-entry. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't understand the HD598 cabling.  I have been looking into buying them for a while but isn't the cable detatchable? 

I thought the cable (at headphone socket end) was a 3.5mm plug with a proprietary plug.  So is it not possible to sort of find a thin 3.5mm plug to go with the headphones?

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 10
My guess is it will be loose or not fit. The cable is detachable though.

Quote:
I don't understand the HD598 cabling.  I have been looking into buying them for a while but isn't the cable detatchable? 

I thought the cable (at headphone socket end) was a 3.5mm plug with a proprietary plug.  So is it not possible to sort of find a thin 3.5mm plug to go with the headphones?

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 10
I assumed the plug would be held in the 3.5mm socket through the tension in the socket like most headphone plugs.

I know the cable is detachable because the mould of the plug means you just twist and pull.

I have seen the HD558 in the shops and I detached the plug in the store.  I was planning on buying the HD598 and finding my own plug which I could mould into a small enough piece to connect into the HD598. 

Does anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't be able to do this?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 10
The other head (connected to hp) is a 2.5mm.

See if this thread helps:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/557533/having-a-hard-time-finding-the-right-2-5mm-to-3-5mm-cable-experts-needed

Looks like finding a cable that fits could be tough.

Quote:
I assumed the plug would be held in the 3.5mm socket through the tension in the socket like most headphone plugs.

I know the cable is detachable because the mould of the plug means you just twist and pull.

I have seen the HD558 in the shops and I detached the plug in the store.  I was planning on buying the HD598 and finding my own plug which I could mould into a small enough piece to connect into the HD598. 

Does anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't be able to do this?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the link.  Very helpful. 

Ah well, looks like it would be tricky to get a recable done then.  If I can't find a 2.5mm plug small enough and mouldable for the Sennheiser hole then I might try to solder straight onto the headphones for a recable without removing the existing socket (trying to preserve warranty status)

Quote:
The other head (connected to hp) is a 2.5mm.

See if this thread helps:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/557533/having-a-hard-time-finding-the-right-2-5mm-to-3-5mm-cable-experts-needed

Looks like finding a cable that fits could be tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back