Just got my SE530s!
Jan 22, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jtgamble

New Head-Fier
They arrived today! Man, I am loving these things
atsmile.gif

The medium olives that came on them were too small and I couldn't get a good seal with them. After struggling for 20 minutes, I FINALLY got them off, and got the large foamies installed. Left ear, got it in.....excellent seal! Perfect! Moved on to the right ear....not working. Can't get a seal. Ugg. Tried like 3 times, STILL can't get a seal. Maybe its too big? OK, lets try the medium again. Got the tip off much more easily this time. (Phew, didn't want to struggle like that EVERY time I needed to switch tips). Back to the medium tip...and too small, can't get a seal. Shoot. I then proceeded to try the tri-planges (not comfortable for me) and the large silicone's (can't get CLOSE to a seal). Alright, time to try the large foam tip again. FINALLY! Good seal. Just had to give a little twist after it was inserted.
icon10.gif

Impressions:

The isolation is excellent! I'm currently sitting at my computer with my wife watching TV right behind me. Usually I can hear whatever she is watching, no matter what volume I have my computer volume turned to. I honestly couldn't tell you whether the TV is even on without looking anymore. She also has tried to talk to me several times, and has to yell or clap loudly to get my attention - perfect!

Comfort is OK. I'm sure it will get better as my ears get used to having something jammed in them. I haven't taken them out yet, but I'll need to soon to let the canals rest a bit. I'll come back to this one in a few days after my ears have had some time to adjust
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound quality: these are by FAR the best phones I've heard, bar none. Well, that's not entirely surprising. I've got a pair of AKG K240 Studio's that I rarely use because I find they make my ears REALLY hot. They sound pretty good, but not in the same league as these IMO. I've used the 530s with both my iPhone and my PC (unamped in both cases, still deciding on an amp to order). Music sounds great. Good amount of bass, very present but definitely not overpowering. Really great mids. Treble sounds very nice as well, not a hint of sibilance. These work very well with video as well.

These seem to have the new, skinnier cables on them. Microphonics seem pretty good, not much cable noise when there is rubbing against my skin, though there is more noise when it rubs against my clothes - not enough for me to really notice much, and definitely not enough for me to worry about.

Overall, so far I give them an A-. Once my ears get used to them, I'm sure they'll be an A! I'll update more later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 23
Congratulations! You might try the small olives even if the mediums are too small. For some reason they work at creating a pretty good seal while the mediums seem too small
confused_face(1).gif

They are great IEMs. Very smooth without a hint of harshness.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 23
Congratulations on the iem's! Great mids and wonderful tight, focused bass. Some people don't like the recessed highs, but IMO they work really well 'cause they reduce fatigue.

Enjoy!

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! You might try the small olives even if the mediums are too small. For some reason they work at creating a pretty good seal while the mediums seem too small
confused_face(1).gif

They are great IEMs. Very smooth without a hint of harshness.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 23
Congrats!!!...

My SE530 just arrived today. About two weeks ago I got some Shure SCL4's (my first over $20 earphones). The SCL4's sounded good and very different to what I was used to, after several days of use I got used to the "different" and more detailed sound. Still, they seemed to lack a bit in the bass department, hence the 530's. The 530 do much better in the bass department, not crazy bass but very solid. The overall sound is also vastly superior to the SCL4's (and for the money I payed, they better be)... So far also very happy. Oh and for me it seem I have to use the small tips to get a the best fit and sound, I must have small ear canals.....

Not a real audiophile, so probably the last time I spend this kind of money on headphones. I am considering a second less expensive pair of headphones for more everyday use (don't wan't to break or lose the SE530's $$$). Considering the Phonak Audeo PFEs or maybe a used pair of SE420s.

Anyway Congrats and may we both enjoy there fantastic music machines.
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 23
You lucky guys that had your SE530's delivered!!! after ordering mine on the 4th im still awaiting delivery, its driving me nuts and im actually losing a bit of sleep over it. oh well they will be worth the wait.ararrrgh

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You lucky guys that had your SE530's delivered!!! after ordering mine on the 4th im still awaiting delivery, its driving me nuts and im actually losing a bit of sleep over it. oh well they will be worth the wait.ararrrgh

where did you order from?

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 23
This thread finally pushed me over the edge. It was the last bit about "Really great mids. Treble sounds very nice as well, not a hint of sibilance." that did it, I ended up ordering a pair of 530's. Hopefully they'll have arrived when I go home on Saturday. Fingers are crossed because I'm really interested to hear them.

Now I need to pray that I can sell my triple.fi's to someone to make at least some of the money back.
confused_face.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 23
congrats, i've had similar frustrations with the tips but i'm damn glad they don't just pop off like on some of the older shures. it's annoying, if not the worst thing ever, to stick earphones into your ears expecting your favourite jam but instead getting stabbed by a plastic tube.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm trying out the small foamies to see if they're any easier to get a seal with. Its a little frustrating because my ear canals seem to be extremely different. What works in one just won't in the other. I can get a nice seal with the small on my left ear, but the right just won't stay in place. I'm thinking I may have to use a small on the left and a large on the right
confused_face.gif
Oh well, whatever works best I guess.

Other than the problems with fit (which just will take some time to figure out - its me, not them for sure) I'm extremely happy with the purchase!

EDIT: OK, so after MORE playing with tips, the combo that seems to work best for me is small foamie in the left, and medium foamie in the right. Yes, that pesky medium that I couldn't get to seal for love nor money last night is working wonders today. /shrug Who can understand the mystery that is the IEM tip?
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake placing my order on a pair of west3 because it MAY or maynot have sibilance issues. but there's never a sound problem with se530 now i want to swap but cant T_T!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back