Just got my (practically new) ALO Mini^3 amp....!
Feb 5, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 39
I was just listening to Rage Against The Machine with my ALO amp,ipod and my M Audio Q40's(my perfect cans with DT770 velour's.It doesn't sound like i'm listening to my ipod or mp3's.I rather listen to Rage now with my portable set up then anything else including my Harmon Kardon AVRII."Bullet In My Head" sounds sensational with booming hard kick drums and loud crashing snares.High loud detailed guitars and the bass moving along nicely with the rhythm.And that is at a fairly loud level with some gain to spare.A truly awesome mid range.Prominent and warm.Every song on the "Rage Against The Machine" album sounds fantastic with the amp and ipod.And they are imported via AAC VBR at 192 kbps.Those who have heard this amp know what i mean when i say this is one fantastic little amp with awesome dynamics.Created by AMB.org.Perfected by ALO?Here are some internal pics.Bare with me.And yes there are obvious differences between this and the original Mini^3!

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #18 of 39
I can see why some people are skeptical.But like i said earlier.The previous owner,who has alot more experience with portable amps said."The only amp i have heard better then this is the Preditor."That was said after the purchase.I was planning to buy the original Mini^3.But luckily i stumbled upon this 2 month old unit,getting it for $180 including shipping.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All accurate/inaccurate product descriptions aside: Congrats on finding an amp you like.

Thank You.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 39
Having a heck of a hard time making out those photos Nirvana - time for you to get yourself a nice little digital
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a heck of a hard time making out those photos Nirvana - time for you to get yourself a nice little digital
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually i was using a Canon digital,but the lighting was crap!I'll try to get some clear ones soon.I guess you want to know what resistors they use,right?By the way ALO aren't the only ones charging a few dollars more for "Black Gate" capacitors.Portaphile.com are charging $25 extra for them.xAlso they(Black gate) stopped production in 2006 so what ever is out there is all that's left of them.And i guess ALO could of sold their kits prebuilt.But i guess they chose not to and charged for labour plus parts instead.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #22 of 39
I just got my new Qable LOD with solid silver signal wires and it is a perfect marriage.I can now hear everything better. Detail,soundstage and so on.with this new LOD cable.The amp sounds superb!Rock,electronic,industrial and especially Trance sounds amazing compared to the ipod solo.I just listened to Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins and Undertow by Tool!What a treat!The sound stage is better and the highs are more extended and bass is a bit tighter and punchier!I don't know if it's just the new cable and burn in.Probably is both.And the amp doesn't sound like a portable but maybe more a home amplifier.I bet if i gave blind listening sessions i could probably fool people into thinking it's a tube instead of solid state.I can't wait to hear Jude's review of this amp.Oh by the way i updated the internal pics with more clear and less blur.(same post)

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 39
Glad you like your amp! ALO charges quite a bit for labor and the BG caps I'd say. In my opinion, they are the Bose of the head-fi world.
biggrin.gif

The mini3 does sound magnificent, I've never heard Ray Samuels amps though, well I owned the xp-7 5 years ago, but forgotten about it.

I built this one for $70 shipped including panels and case!

dsc0580yj4.jpg

dsc05812ot9.jpg

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like your amp! ALO charges quite a bit for labor and the BG caps I'd say. In my opinion, they are the Bose of the head-fi world.
biggrin.gif

The mini3 does sound magnificent, I've never heard Ray Samuels amps though, well I owned the xp-7 5 years ago, but forgotten about it.

I built this one for $70 shipped including panels and case!

dsc0580yj4.jpg

dsc05812ot9.jpg

Very nice.But i totally disagree with your Bose comparison.ALO have more audiophile knowledge and way better gear.And they don't spend anywhere near what Bose spends on marketing.Just because you know how to make an amp and save money on labour doesn't mean you know ALO's or any other companies exact profit margins.No doubt if they lowered the price they would sell more amps.But we don't know their exact profit margin.But as you said that's your opinion.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 39
I agree with what you are saying, the faceplates themselves are probably a bit costly as well. Perhaps they are hiring the Queen Elizabeth to do the soldering.
tongue.gif

Enjoy your amp!

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with what you are saying, the faceplates themselves are probably a bit costly as well. Perhaps they are hiring the Queen Elizabeth to do the soldering.
tongue.gif

Enjoy your amp!

That's a good one.She's probably does alot of repairs on her crown!All jokes aside i probably sound like a ALO rep.And i applaud all the DIY'ers out there.If i could do it i probably would attempt to make a great amp and save money too.My initial intent of this thread is to merely point out that this is a killer amp.And props to Amb.org for their resources and creating the original.By the way can anyone recommend some good IEM's under $100.So far i have the Soundmagic PL30's,Yuin PK3,OK3's,NuForce NE-7M's and Head Direct's RE 2's in mind.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 39
The mini3 is a great amp huh! The mini3 was actually my first diy project, built four weeks ago. It is great fun, you should give it a try!

As for IEMs, I'm not sure what is good for under $100, you can probably find the Westone UM2 for a little more cash, which are terrific sounding, and comfortable. When I tried them out, they sounded better than the super fi pros and were MUCH(10x) more comfortable. Now I have customs though, I'm in my own little world.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 39
Tried it.High and low.Not even close!This amp(ALO Mini^3) isn't missing anything sound wise.The bass is alot more impactful,and extended.And this amp has that extra power/gain the Boa was missing.Don't get me wrong.The D2 Boa has a great DAC and a good amp.But with the ALO Mini^3,there is no contest.As soon as i got the A.Mini^3 plugged in my M Audio Q40's.The ibasso D2 boa was no longer needed and was returned.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #30 of 39
Ugh, if those internal pics are improved versions with better quality, I hate to see how blurry the originals were!

I had a Mini3 built by MisterX for a while, it was an awesome amp. I'm seriously contemplating getting another one from him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back