Just got my KSC35
Apr 24, 2007 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sidewinder

500+ Head-Fier
Great sound, deeper and more bass compared to KSC75, a bit like the PortaPro (which I didn't like because of the sturdy feel). Highs are less pronounced, which imo is a good thing. The KSC75 can be a bit 'edgy' sometimes, it has lots of sparkle, and at some moments it can be too much for my ears to handle. Otherwise, this doesn't mean it lacks treble, it has tons of it actually. Vocals sounds just as good as on the 75, I like the upfront presentation. These phones really shine with acoustic music (vocals included off course). I'm so happy with the 35 I ordered another pair! Got them off eBay, $35 each.

161hp2.jpg

271zq7.jpg

adb41nj4.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 27
congratulations! ksc 35 and 75 are one of the best and highly-regarded 'phones here. for their price, they can't be beat.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 27
I thought, well maybe it's not a bad thing to buy 2 pairs of KSC35, as I'll probably won't be able to get one in the (near) future, as they are out of production. If one fails, I can use the other one. It's a great phone to use outdoors too, compared to the KSC75, which is too bright for portable use imo, and the sound a bit too piercing. But still, the're both excellent value for their price, I can't stress it enough...
icon10.gif
*insert KSC75/35 smile*

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 27
I have a KSC35 coming my way as well. I found one for a bit cheaper than the price quote I got from you because it was in the USA.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found the 35's to sound more natural than the 75's.

With good recorded music, it's a real pleasure to listen to both phones, but the deeper bass can be a bit overpowering on some songs, while on others, it's just great! The KSC75 is quite a bit brighter, but it doesn't miss impact, especially when amped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a KSC35 coming my way as well. I found one for a bit cheaper than the price quote I got from you because it was in the USA.

Did it come from eBay and in original package? The only two I could find were from the same salesman, in Germany.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 27
I bought it used (but like-new) on head-fi. No original box but it is one of the later ones that had the gold plated miniplug.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 27
cool man! Where'd you score those?

Anyways, take good care of them (like, as a nostalgic piece of Americana. One of the few very good all American headphones). They aren't just beater cans. I treated mine that way, and regrettably the right channel has come disconnected and I'm afraid to go in there myself and fix them. But when I do....

They do better with an amp (I think the KSC75 has better treble unamped).

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 27
I've been thinking about buying a pair of the 35's or 75's for the PC at work.
Are they comfortable enough and are they easy to get on and off relative to a normal set with a top-head band? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by macm75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about buying a pair of the 35's or 75's for the PC at work.
Are they comfortable enough and are they easy to get on and off relative to a normal set with a top-head band? Thanks.

Yes. They're comfy enough, though I find the earclips get uncomfy after a coupla hours. Still, isolation or not. that is a bigger issue. As for getting them on and off: I consider it a learned action. For me, it's second nature, but my roommate found them particularly aggravating and couldn't get them on regularly without popping the clips off in the process (in fact, we had to mark the left and right drivers it happened so often). I think he has a condition known to violin teachers as 'stupid fingers'.

I would recommend the 75 as it is more available and does better without amplification. Also, if you break it, you're in no way SOL the way you'd be with the 35. Still, the 35 is worth having. Also, the 75 has better earpads than the 35. So good, in fact, that I put the pads from my 75 onto my 35 when I was using it regularly.

If you want something with a headband, get a Koss Portapro or a Koss Pro35a. Though, I think the KSC35 had better soundstage and a little more neutral character than the 35a (though I only got to compare them shortly). I think this is in part due to the fact that the KSCx5s hang off the ear whereas the portapro and pro35 are pushed into your ear by the headband. Still, all of these are killer bang-for-the-buck.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 27
go for it man. I'm considering doing the same thing to my KSC75. Though I imagine my Equation Audio RP-15 is going to occupy most of my portable time in the future.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 27
I'm using the 75 clips, cause they can be bend and are a lot more comfortable. As for the sound, I prefer the 35 slightly. I'll keep my 75 as a reserve. But still, I haven't heard a headphone that sounds as exicting, involving and transparent as these babies. The midrange (vocal) is just soooo sweet. It strikes me that bass, midrange and treble are equally pronounced and are very upfront, unlike so many other headphones. Soundstage is excellent btw. Resolution is amazing up to ridiculous on some compositions, it happens I can't stand the amount of detail, yet the sound is ... I've got no words! It's doesn't surprise me people compare these phones to high-end ones.

Folks who want a pair: eBay link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back