Just got my K340s!
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I am back to the K340s club!

After my regretful parting with the K340s, I have always lusted after their exuberant sounds. I just can't get enough of their mid range goodness, and frankly the Koss A/250s are not cutting the muster there.

Nearly half a year later, I snatched a pair off the bay. Things of changed a lot since I parted with my first pair. Gone were my Dual mono Darkvoice. And I have practically moved to a vintage speaker rig with my Kenwood KA7100 integrated amp (which is still very great).

Then it comes the new pair of K340s. Fresh out of the box I plugged them into my Kenny's headphone out (which is very venerable in its own accord. It runs directly off of the transformer. And the amp section is no slough at all. It drives the A250s beautifully): shouty mids, weak bass and very peaky highs. Hmmm... Looks like I have finally scored a bass light variant! Having come to my conclusion that they are either in need of better amping or modding, or both, off they went to the bench!

After digging up the old thread on modding the K340s, I did a quick and dirty (still took me a good half a day) recabling with some SPC and x-over bypass. I am too lazy to replace the grills this time, and I really appreciate to have something solid between my ears and the electret units this time around
icon10.gif
. I also left the x-over hookup wire stock. Don't want to tinker too much into the transformer unit and its tiny wires!

Lastly, I decided to wire them directly into my Kenny's speaker section. And boy, do they sing
eek.gif
! The mids really really improved! Much more well integrated and smooth. The bass gains much authority, thanks much to the beefy amp from Kenny. They trebles are just... exquisite. I thought the Koss A/250s have great highs. But compared to the K340s, they sound very... out of place especially with the mids being sort of recessed. The trebles on this pair of K340s just sound soooo smooth yet very energetic; a must welcome change from my old pair of bass heavy K340s where I tried almost every tweak in the world to get more trebles out.

Well, the bass sounds very different, if my memory serves me right, from my old pair. It's not overwhelming at all. I just puffed the cotton a little bit and stuffed them all back inside the ear cups. They need all the bass they can get! With the mod, the bass is very natural, with a slight warmth that is not echoey like that of old. The echoey mid bass/low mid have always plagued my old pair. Getting the perfect balance between bass quantity/ quality has been a constant struggle. But with this pair, there's no thinking at all. Just stuff all the cotton in, and that's it. Although to be honest, I do wish it to be just a smidgen stronger, perhaps at the cost of neutrality. But right now I can almost say it is warmer still than the A/250s. I have mostly tested them out with acoustic jazz (double bass, snare drums). I should definitely try some pop and rock to see how they handle overblown bass
tongue.gif

All in all, I am really glad to come back to the K340s. I am also glad that the Kenwood drives them beautiful out of their speaker section (it better!). And my, they require almost the same volume as my EPI 100 speakers! Maybe when I have time I will take some pictures later (after cleaning up my desk first
redface.gif
)

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Well, I am sold.

Tried them out with some Rage Against the Machine. The bass is as ample as can be, without being over done. I do notice, however, that the very very low bass (<40hz) seems a bit rolled off. I have some John Williams' stuff and I recall feeling the rumble from my old K340s setup with the Dual Darkvoice. I am not sure it is a result of my new pair being of light bass variety (though this seems like a misnomer. They are just more natural, to me), or my equipment change. I should do a sine wave sweep later to verify. But as far as mid bass goes, these are punchy and quick with much warmer decay than the A250s.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 14
You have to modd them, cos you will get totally different set of phones, much better all the way.
The bass will become stronger/tighter and the rest of the sound will improve as well. Light version are better, especially after mods been done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am sold.

Tried them out with some Rage Against the Machine. The bass is as ample as can be, without being over done. I do notice, however, that the very very low bass (<40hz) seems a bit rolled off. I have some John Williams' stuff and I recall feeling the rumble from my old K340s setup with the Dual Darkvoice. I am not sure it is a result of my new pair being of light bass variety (though this seems like a misnomer. They are just more natural, to me), or my equipment change. I should do a sine wave sweep later to verify. But as far as mid bass goes, these are punchy and quick with much warmer decay than the A250s.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Well, I just did a sine wave test. There's volume all the way down to 20hz. I am sure that at that level, there's not much of "volume" but tactile feel. And just as it is, the volume is much lower at 20hz than at 50hz. But as far as roll off goes, I say around 30hz is still fairly linear.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 14
I ran a pair of Headphiled K340s off my speaker amp (Dared VP-20) and it definitely worked well. The amp that is; I didn't like that particular pair of K340s much as it was definitely too dark. To this day, my pair, that I bought on a whim more than a year ago, is still head and shoulders above most other pairs I've ever come across, and only one other pair I've heard thus far was able to (almost) match it.

On the bright side (bah bad pun), the experiment made me take a gamble and plug in my HD600s and HD650s straight into the speaker outputs. I'm glad I did. I'm still using them that way and have never looked back. It's a (relatively) inexpensive push-pull amp, so it gives me the main benefits of balanced drive without requiring me to shell out for a balanced source. It certainly makes the HD650s sing like no other amp I've ever heard them with.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to modd them, cos you will get totally different set of phones, much better all the way.
The bass will become stronger/tighter and the rest of the sound will improve as well. Light version are better, especially after mods been done.

I definitely like what I am hearing now
biggrin.gif
It is so different, to have owned the bass heavy K340s all this time. But the "light" version just sounds so much more natural. As far as modding goes, I have done almost everything short of changing the grill (which I believe only affects higher freq) and x-over rewire. These steps require much more attention and I am already spoiled at the moment to put them back on the bench
cool.gif

It is still amazing to know that what some headphones made 30 years ago and at a humble price can achieve such a level of performance, given the time and attention. I am back to vintage, baby!

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran a pair of Headphiled K340s off my speaker amp (Dared VP-20) and it definitely worked well. The amp that is; I didn't like that particular pair of K340s much as it was definitely too dark. To this day, my pair, that I bought on a whim more than a year ago, is still head and shoulders above most other pairs I've ever come across, and only one other pair I've heard thus far was able to (almost) match it.

On the bright side (bah bad pun), the experiment made me take a gamble and plug in my HD600s and HD650s straight into the speaker outputs. I'm glad I did. I'm still using them that way and have never looked back. It's a (relatively) inexpensive push-pull amp, so it gives me the main benefits of balanced drive without requiring me to shell out for a balanced source. It certainly makes the HD650s sing like no other amp I've ever heard them with.

Hmmm... I seem to have struck a perfect match of tonal balance here with my new pair
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, what does push pull mean? Does it mean that you can have a single ended amp, without balanced source, and still have the benefit of a balanced setup (double slew rates, etc. Although I am sure that without a balanced source, line noise elimination would not be available)?

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 14
That's good, but recable them and you will reach your nirvana, well maybe
biggrin.gif

I remember to having stock/modded one and enjoyed them very, very much. My Aspen have a lot of energy to push them to their best, kind of miss them to use with some TRANCE.
cool.gif

Enjoy!

Quote:

I definitely like what I am hearing now
biggrin.gif
It is so different, to have owned the bass heavy K340s all this time. But the "light" version just sounds so much more natural. As far as modding goes, I have done almost everything short of changing the grill (which I believe only affects higher freq) and x-over rewire. These steps require much more attention and I am already spoiled at the moment to put them back on the bench
cool.gif

It is still amazing to know that what some headphones made 30 years ago and at a humble price can achieve such a level of performance, given the time and attention. I am back to vintage, baby!

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

By the way, what does push pull mean? Does it mean that you can have a single ended amp, without balanced source, and still have the benefit of a balanced setup (double slew rates, etc. Although I am sure that without a balanced source, line noise elimination would not be available)?

Essentially. I'm not the best person to explain this (my knowledge of physics is limited to knowing that physics exists) but AFAIK a push-pull amp runs the signal through a phase splitter generating a second signal that's 180 degrees out of phase, and then proceeds as would a balanced amp. So you are getting the benefits of balanced drive but not the benefits of a balanced signal.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Well, I just checked the K340s on this website:
And I definitely felt the rumbling at close to 20hz.

It's a pass here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back