Just got my iPod shuffle....
Jan 23, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #16 of 45
It took less than 2 hours to fully charge the shuffle, probably because the battery was already full out of the box. I managed to get 251 songs on there. The acutal size of the "1G" is like 992MB, which is very close.

As for sound quality....."good enough" pretty much sums it up. The volume is fine, can go loud enough to damage your hearing. It doesn't match up to the iPod Photo, but it's more than acceptable for use as a workout mp3 player, for riding on the bus/subway, or even as Joe Schmoe's only mp3 player.

I think the main problem I'm having is transcoding, since the shuffle uses the SigmaTel chip found in several other mp3 players. I thought that with cheap Senn MX400 there wouldn't be much of a difference between AAC 128kbps and LAME APE/Nero AAC 192kbps (both of which sound the same as WAV to me when testing with iPod line out, META42, HD600), but that's not true. Well to be more precise, I don't think transcoding is the problem, but rather 128kbps AAC. I think there's a big loss in quality using 128, whether it's transcoding from 256 or from the original WAV. Bass is noticably muddy, and trebble is missing at 128kbps AAC.

I'm leery of pursuing the matter further because it took like 2 hours for iTunes to transcode and transfer everything to the shuffle on my 3.0GHz P4 with HT PC. Also, I don't want to manage two sets of files (one for the shuffle, the other for my iPods/computer) if I were to go from WAV to 160kbps LAME (I would choose Nero AAC 160kbps but apparently Nero AAC doesn't work on the shuffle???).

Now here's the interesting part. If I compare iTMS tracks I bought on the iPod Photo and shuffle (in other words, I'm actually comparing the same exact file), the shuffle seems to have better bass at times, in terms of both being refined and feeling "powerful". Maybe that's why 128kbps AAC sounds muddy to me. Dare I say it sounds more like a Creative player
lambda.gif
?

Bottom line: audio quality shouldn't at all be an issue when considering this mp3 player and others in its class because (1) they should all sound the same without EQ sine they use the same chip and (2) the quality is very good.

Now....onto the AUDIO DEFECT! This one doesn't actually affect music while it's playing though, which is a relief. When FF or RW a song and in between songs, you can here a very quiet but audible "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bllllllippppppppp" before the song starts playing. And of course, just like the infamous 4G iPod audio defect, I can't hear it using Apple's earbuds. And screw anyone who says they can fix the problem with tape around the audio jack - the shuffle has no metal to touch the headphone jack. My guess is that they know about these problems but dismiss it because they test with the Apple earbuds and because most people won't notice it. I was pissed off at the 4G defect because I could hear it while music was playing. But this problem doesn't affect the music at all, so I have no issues with it.

OTHER COMMENTS:
- The $99 USB cap was a joke, since the only place as of this moment to get a cap is off another shuffle.
- If Apple made the shuffle twice as thick, allowing them to add a 2 line white backlit LCD and 24 hour battery life, I would have certainly bought it for an extra $20.
- When FF and RW through a track by pressing down either button, you hear clips of the song to guide you.
- If you read about people saying the shuffle sounds as good as or better than the iPod, don't be doubtful, it's quite possible.
- If Apple allowed transcoding to 160kbps AAC, my post would have been much shorter with less complaining, damn it.
- Don't bother with high-end headphones like the Senn HD600 - it's very shrill.
- Since I have yet to see any pics comparing it to an actual Bic (well Scripto, but same thing) lighter...

shuffle5.jpg

Oh, and that lighter is about 1mm thicker than the shuffle!

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 45
Actually...

When FF or RW to another track, I hear "weeeeeeeeee, blllllliipppppppp"

In between tracks, I hear "bllllllllliippppppp, weeeeeeee, bllllllliiippppp"

If had to make a wild guess, the bllliippp is the headphone amp or some component of the headphone output turning off and then on again as data is loaded, and the weeeeeee is reading the flash memory. If true, I hope Apple can update the firmware to disable turning on/off the amp between tracks, so then there's just a tiny weeeeee sound. The bllliipp is more annoying relatively.

Also, I decided 128kbps AAC transcoding is acceptable. The hassle is not worth it for the audio quality I'm getting now.

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 45
Taphil, thanks again for the feedback. Mind if I ask have you tried any of your 256 kbps MP3s to hear how the shuffle sounds (yeah, I have a few iTMS 128 kbps files and they're flat).

And have you tried your Nero AACs to test if they work?

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 45
Good information! Thanks!

I'm sure a bunch of people would be willing to drop $199 for this if it became a reality. I know I would.

Just think....

iPod Shuffle (2GB) - $199
iPod Mini (4GB) - $249
iPod (20GB) - $299

Perfect!

ipodshufflepro8wc.jpg

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 45
Maybe...I kinda like that it doesnt have a screen. As a secondary player for working out I find it preferable since you dont have to worry about scratching or protecting the screen. How many people have ruined a screen on something by putting something on top of it that applied too much pressure or by pressing something on it too hard? Its never under warrantee either...I think that not having a screen makes it more durable.

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF

I'm sure a bunch of people would be willing to drop $199 for this if it became a reality. I know I would.

Just think....

iPod Mini (4GB) - $249
iPod (20GB) - $299

Perfect!

ipodshufflepro8wc.jpg

oh man, that really screws up the shuffle's sleek design
icon10.gif

i'd rather have a really small lcd at the side instead.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
oh man, that really screws up the shuffle's sleek design
icon10.gif

i'd rather have a really small lcd at the side instead.

ditto. just a simple one line display that scrolls the song name would be perfect.

Nevertheless, I am still a fan of this new ipod shuffle. I plan on eventually buying a 512mb for the gym

Regards,
Dan

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Taphil, thanks again for the feedback. Mind if I ask have you tried any of your 256 kbps MP3s to hear how the shuffle sounds (yeah, I have a few iTMS 128 kbps files and they're flat).

And have you tried your Nero AACs to test if they work?

Thanks for asking and forcing me to refuse mediocrity
tongue.gif

The shuffle does work with Nero AAC, contrary to other postings and Apple's KB article. I tried both Nero AAC CBR and VBR at 160-192 and it worked fine. At 160kbps, the sound is a bit muffled and not as airy, transparent, and open as 256kbps on the iPod Photo, but I think it sounds better than iTunes 128kbps transcoding. The shuffle's audio quality, then, with earbuds and probably mid-end headphones should be great. Thus, I've decided to re-encode my wav files to 160kbps AAC. My calculations say I'll be able to fit 200 songs instead of 250, but that's worth it for me. Managing the two sets of files is another matter, with iTunes being the main obstacle.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Well to be more precise, I don't think transcoding is the problem, but rather 128kbps AAC. I think there's a big loss in quality using 128, whether it's transcoding from 256 or from the original WAV.

What leads you to this conclusion? Did you do a blind comparison of a transcoded file versus a straight-from-CD encoded file? I was listening to some 128 Kbps AAC tracks purchased from iTMS over my car stereo today (iPod photo with line-level output to amp). Tight bass and no noticeable loss of treble. On the other hand, anything I bought off of allofmp3.com transcoded from 320 Kbps MP3 to LAME alt-preset-extreme (equivalent to about 220 Kbps MP3) sounds pretty bad on decent equipment. I don't think lossy codecs were designed to be used for transcoding.

Not to say that there isn't something missing from 128 Kbps AAC tracks vs. say 224 Kbps AAC (what I normally rip at), but it's not nearly as noticeable as the reduction in quality you get when you transcode IMHO.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

ipodshufflepro8wc.jpg

Haha, that's awesome, but the orientation is the opposite of what it should be...well...the buttons should be swapped.
Quote:

ditto. just a simple one line display that scrolls the song name would be perfect.

It's funny how the Sony NW-MS9 (?) had that and everybody complained that it didn't have a big enough screen.
eek.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915

It's funny how the Sony NW-MS9 (?) had that and everybody complained that it didn't have a big enough screen.
eek.gif

Because to alot of people, whatever Apple churns out becomes a winner (Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Shuffle enough to want to buy it), everything else doesn't matter.

Jan 23, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Just think....

iPod Mini (4GB) - $249
iPod (20GB) - $299

Perfect!

ipodshufflepro8wc.jpg

I would love that player

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 45
FWIW I just got out of my nice warm bed to check, and I don't hear a sound FF/RW and between tracks, even amping the Shuffle and turning the volume way up. Of course, that's using Shuffle->Pimeta->Senn 580s. This made for such a "only on head-fi moment", I thought I'd share (see attachment).

As for the 128kb AAC transcoding: I can't hear much of any difference...when the gym speakers are blaring in the background, anyway.
biggrin.gif

Also, that Shuffle Pro would kill sales of the iPod mini...

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Just think....

iPod Mini (4GB) - $249
iPod (20GB) - $299

Perfect!

ipodshufflepro8wc.jpg

Now THAT is what it should've looked like... except the buttons should be switched.. well, for right handed people anyway..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
Now THAT is what it should've looked like... except the buttons should be switched.. well, for right handed people anyway..
smily_headphones1.gif

yep...i that brings me from hating it to thinking it's pretty damm cool. somebody should start making and selling them out of their garage....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back