Just got my invitation for the Diablo III Closed Public Beta Test...
Feb 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been waiting for this for months. Can't wait to get home and log on to BattleNet. Really looking forward to checking out D3. I was playing D2 for a while recently, but the graphics are so primitive compared to the newer games. The screenshots and videos I've seen so far are amazing, hope the game looks as good on my PC.

I feel a sudden illness coming on...I may have to leave early today...cough, cough
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 26
I'm more excited for Torchlight 2, personally.

mmm I guess it was alright while we had to fill the void of waiting for D3. a d2 clone from creators of d1 and 2 :D

I thought otherwise TL was unremarkable. I'm not even sure I've finished it / don't remember any of the plot at all :D

I just remember the pleasant haze of the skinner box and shiny colors and slot machine sound and the highly intellectual pursuit of level pellets ala diablo slashy rpg :D

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 26
Torchlight 2 is everything Torchlight was and more. I'm not sure I can say the same for Diablo III and II. Plus Torchlight II is only going to be $20, and the devs seem to want to treat gamers as more than just bags of money.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 26
Torchlight 2 is everything Torchlight was and more. I'm not sure I can say the same for Diablo III and II. Plus Torchlight II is only going to be $20, and the devs seem to want to treat gamers as more than just bags of money.

o.O $20 eh. viva progressive pricing then, IMO improves their chances of selling copies and getting their name out there (not that it's necessary)

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 26
I got mine too. I personally have no intentions of buying it. I don't like the strict DRM, Blizzard in general, or the Pay 2 Win way of playing. With that said, the "beta" aka demo makes a compelling case as it's a relatively fun game. I don't remember D2 well as I was younger but I don't remember it being this easy or using as many buttons, but I am a monk class so I'm not sure how that effects anything.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 26
Been playing the beta continously, but after finishing it with all chars, it's kinda meh.

Being a hardcore D2 player (on and off since pre-LoD) and having topped the ladder several times on EUHCL and EUHCCL, I'm very excited about the full game.

Enjoy the beta :wink:

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Been playing the beta continously, but after finishing it with all chars, it's kinda meh.

Being a hardcore D2 player (on and off since pre-LoD) and having topped the ladder several times on EUHCL and EUHCCL, I'm very excited about the full game.

Enjoy the beta :wink:

I finished the beta with my sorc last night, and started a barbarian. I like the gameplay so far, although the skill system takes some getting used to. I've played both D1 and D2/D2:LoD, so I'm familiar with the series.

One thing I noted is that the game seems much easier at the beginning stages then D2, especially for a sorc. I used very few potions, maybe 3 or 4, and only died twice. So far I like not having to plan every skill point. Building a char in D2 was sometimes tedious, especially considering you don't get the good stuff until level 30, and if you put points into the wrong skill, your char was handicapped later on.

Overall, I like the game a lot. It still has the Diablo feel, and the updated graphics make a great looking game. Can't wait for the official release.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 26
I found it a bit too easy to be frank. Didn't use a single potion and I never died. The no dying part didn't surprise me, given that I'm kinda used to focusing on survivability having played mainly hardcore mode in D2, but I did ponder about the fact that no potions were needed.

As for the skill system, I can't really say I like the way it is currently. One of the fun things about D2 was trying out different builds, which is pretty much a fun they've taken out of the game now that you don't have many options. More user friendly though, that's for sure.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Can't wait for the full game myself.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 26
I found it a bit too easy to be frank. Didn't use a single potion and I never died. The no dying part didn't surprise me, given that I'm kinda used to focusing on survivability having played mainly hardcore mode in D2, but I did ponder about the fact that no potions were needed.

As for the skill system, I can't really say I like the way it is currently. One of the fun things about D2 was trying out different builds, which is pretty much a fun they've taken out of the game now that you don't have many options. More user friendly though, that's for sure.

aww what, that doesn't sound good at all (skill sys)

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:

Having played the whole series, one of the problems with the D2 skill tree is that many of the skills aren't all that useful. Plus, many of the best skills/spells aren't available until level 30. That's a lot of hours to find you wasted your points. The alternative is to spend hours researching character builds, and do yet another cookie-cutter build. I hadn't played D2 for years after playing it extensively at release (I also played in the BNet stress testing of D2), and recently started playing it again after I built my new PC. So, I now have a Hammerdin, and a Bowazon, and etc. in progress. The problem then becomes finding all the Unique and Rare armor, rings, staffs, swords and whatnot to make the character truly kick-ass. That takes a lot of time.

If you have that kind of time, great. I personally cannot devote that kind of time to a game, either from a strictly time commitment, or what my body will tolerate. I'm 50 something, and just can't spend that much time with a mouse. I'm liking the D3 skills system so far, because I can now spend less time in the minutia of character management and just play the game. I'm somewhat surprised at the relative ease of getting a sorc through the beta with so little drama, but I kind of like it. The gameplay feels more intuitive. You level up, no need to manage stats. You gain skill slots and assign skill/spells. If you don't like that spell, change it, no worries. I like the direction the game has taken. Plus, it looks great.

Time to go watch the SB. Go, Pats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back