Just got my HeadRoom Total BitHead! A mini-review...
Dec 21, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 34
Yea me too, but i have heard great things about tube amps in general. People seem to agree that 1. Tube amps can warm up the sound, removing the clinical sound of solid state amps 2.They have very good bass impact and soundstage. 3. You can change the sound by tube rolling (changing the tubes) 4. They are VERY COOL looking.

so i figured, i might get a Little dot since i have a deal to get them for 80 dollars second hand just to try them out.

Quote:
never tried the little dot or any other tube amp for that matter.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #17 of 34
well, HeadRoom amps are definitely warm when the crossfeed is turned on. their crossfeed also adds a bit of bass and bass impact and definitely greatly improves the soundstage. I have used the crossfeed constantly since the minute i first unboxed it and hooked it up. i have turned it off for a few seconds at a time just to see the difference now that i am used to it, and i definitely prefer it on.     

Quote:
Yea me too, but i have heard great things about tube amps in general. People seem to agree that 1. Tube amps can warm up the sound, removing the clinical sound of solid state amps 2.They have very good bass impact and soundstage. 3. You can change the sound by tube rolling (changing the tubes) 4. They are VERY COOL looking.

so i figured, i might get a Little dot since i have a deal to get them for 80 dollars second hand just to try them out.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 34
Well I got it and all I have to say is... wow! I am not to great with words but its warm, luscious and juicy! Haha. The sound is really a massive improvement over my MacBook soundcard. I am so pumped I got this. Also the Naturescape thunderstorm you can download is AWESOME! I have never heard sounds get projected so far out of my headphones. Definitely a must download.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 34
nice!

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #23 of 34
Thanks for the review!

I got one of these gratis from kboe about 2 weeks ago with the caveat I write a review and have just gotten around to doing some critical listening with it, stay tuned for my review :)

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Thanks for the review!

I got one of these gratis from kboe about 2 weeks ago with the caveat I write a review and have just gotten around to doing some critical listening with it, stay tuned for my review :)

Definitely. Looking forward to your thoughts on this bad boy.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #25 of 34
Just wondering, does crossfeed do very much? I am not hearing any difference in sound. I am noticing a lot less fatigue however. Do you need really great cans to be able to tell. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #26 of 34
its not the most obvious difference, but it definitely works. try it for a while to get used to it, and then quickly toggle it back off and you'll notice the difference. it takes some getting used to.

Quote:
Just wondering, does crossfeed do very much? I am not hearing any difference in sound. I am noticing a lot less fatigue however. Do you need really great cans to be able to tell. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
its not the most obvious difference, but it definitely works. try it for a while to get used to it, and then quickly toggle it back off and you'll notice the difference. it takes some getting used to.

Quote:

Cool. I thought that maybe I was jumping the gun. HeadRoom says to give their amps around 75hrs before they "break/burn-in". Is this really the case?

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #28 of 34
burn in isn't going to affect the crossfeed if that's what you are asking. i honestly don't know if my amp changed or is changing any as it's breaking in. i got my HD650 and the HeadRoom amp the same day so they have been breaking in together. so far i haven't noticed any obvious changes and i have a good 200 hours or more on the combo. the combo sounded great out of the box, so it's tough to say.

Quote:
Cool. I thought that maybe I was jumping the gun. HeadRoom says to give their amps around 75hrs before they "break/burn-in". Is this really the case?

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
burn in isn't going to affect the crossfeed if that's what you are asking. i honestly don't know if my amp changed or is changing any as it's breaking in. i got my HD650 and the HeadRoom amp the same day so they have been breaking in together. so far i haven't noticed any obvious changes and i have a good 200 hours or more on the combo. the combo sounded great out of the box, so it's tough to say.

Quote:

I can't say my amp is sounding any different either, but my Grados definitely are. The bass has definitely improved since I first got them. The highs are a little less harsh, but still nice an sparkly 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back