just got my HD5555
Dec 6, 2006 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

alrose312

100+ Head-Fier
I'm as new as you can get to this forum - and to the head-fi world in general. I just made a significant jump forward from my PX100s to my new HD555s I got in the mail yesterday ($94 from Amazon - incl shipping). The sound is very much what I expected - nice and warm. Best of all, they reveal new sounds from familiar songs . I look forward to burning these in!

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 14
welcome and glad to see you're enjoying your new cans.

sorry for your wallet.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Trust me, they'll sound a lot better overall after 100+ hrs of non stop break in! I sent my HD 555 to Senn a few weeds ago for repair but they gave me a free set of brand new HD555's (in the original box too!) and the difference between a fresh pair and my old ones that i had (probably more than 300 hrs on them) was pretty big. I'm still breaking in my HD 555's right now (probably around 180 hrs of break in).

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 14
im pretty happy with mine, i got em used so they very well broken in. I have about 150 hours through them myself.

Bass really tightens up with a small amp too.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 14
Actually, the k501 at $100 is now gone.....no more in stock. So the HD580 is the next can that's at an unbelievable price that may go out of stock (though I bought mine 8 years ago because they "were being discountinued"
eggosmile.gif
).

Haven't listened to many sub $100 headphones, but Grados have been one of them. I like the Sony MDR-V6 much better then the SR60. I haven't listened to the 555. I have the bigger brother to the 555, the 595, which I think is a great reference/ general purpose can. I'm in the Sennheiser camp, so I can't see them making a bad headphone
eggosmile.gif
Don't listen to nay sayers.....if you like your can, more power to you!!!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the k501 at $100 is now gone.....no more in stock. So the HD580 is the next can that's at an unbelievable price that may go out of stock (though I bought mine 8 years ago because they "were being discountinued"
eggosmile.gif
).

Haven't listened to many sub $100 headphones, but Grados have been one of them. I like the Sony MDR-V6 much better then the SR60. I haven't listened to the 555. I have the bigger brother to the 555, the 595, which I think is a great reference/ general purpose can. I'm in the Sennheiser camp, so I can't see them making a bad headphone
eggosmile.gif
Don't listen to nay sayers.....if you like your can, more power to you!!!
eggosmile.gif

I can see
tongue.gif
. Every post you make is either about the 595 or the 650...

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Don't forget the HD580
wink.gif
yep....I don't have anything bad to say about my beloved Sennheisers
tongue.gif
But after doing some homework, I'm ready to try out a good Grado. Just ordered the 325i!!!! You'll know if I become a Grado fan too
wink.gif
eggosmile.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Can't wait for mine. Come on Christmas, where are you!?

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 14
So far I have listened to the following with my new HD555s:

The new Decemberists album 'the crane wife' - very crisp!

Radiohead 'Kid A' - I never heard the million minute blips and bleeps that carry throughout this album before!

Wilco 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' 180 gram vinyl on my stanton turntable...I have to admit - I was expecting a little more punch here - but I expect it will improve with burn-in.

Lastly, I tried Wilderness' new album 'Vessel States' I knew this was an emotional album, but somehow the HD555s bring it out even more.

And finally....tonight I will put them to the ultimate test: M83 'Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts' on vinyl!

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im glad you like yours as well. I LOVE mine, and I second the question of what music are you listening to?

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to say this but i think theres much better out there for roughly the same amount of money. (ms1,k501) both $100 shipped

still if you are happy, great!

I picked up my hd555s in the for sale forum for 60$ shipped =) couldnt resist that price. For the money i spent, it was worth every penny. I do agree there are better choices in the 100$ range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back