Just got my HD555 and I hate them!
Aug 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wooz101

New Head-Fier
What's up Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
I got my HD555's on Tuesday and I just hate em. Why, you ask? Because I have realllllly bad OCD. My right ear touches the inside of the cans while my left does not. It annoys the hell out of me
frown.gif
So I am going to return them.

I use headphones for gaming. I wan't a lot of space between my ear and the inside of the cup. I hear that the Beyerdynamic DT 770's were good. Will they fit my needs? Will they be better just alone with my onboard ALC888 compared to HD555 with an X-Fi? Thanks.

Also another thing I hated about the HD555 is that other people could hear them when they were on my head. Kinda defeats the purpose ya know :p

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Try the DT-770 and see if they touch your ears. Mine do not. Nor do my HD555. Though I can imagine that if I had bigger ears that the HD555 might touch my ears as the cups are more oval shaped.

DT-770 will not sound better than HD555 with those setups you speak of. You AT LEAST need the X-fi with the DT-770.

The purpose of open headphones is to have more soundstage and a less claustrophobic feel so I don't think the purpose is being defeated in any way.

An alternative would be to look into Audio Technica closed headphones. You can also search the forum for closed headphones or read one of the current 3 threads about closed headphones.

There are many threads with lots of information about all these headphones. However we cannot help you with things touching your ear so I would probably start there.

Have fun!
atsmile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wooz101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's up Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
I got my HD555's on Tuesday and I just hate em. Why, you ask? Because I have realllllly bad OCD. My right ear touches the inside of the cans while my left does not. It annoys the hell out of me
frown.gif
So I am going to return them.

I use headphones for gaming. I wan't a lot of space between my ear and the inside of the cup. I hear that the Beyerdynamic DT 770's were good. Will they fit my needs? Will they be better just alone with my onboard ALC888 compared to HD555 with an X-Fi? Thanks.:p

Sounds more like an ear problem than a can problem...have you tried the cardas ear lobe mod?

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 18
As a person who suffers from OCD the best thing you can do is not return the headphones and little by little have you're selfuse them. That bieng said, I once suffered from chronic OCD, but now one would have one hell of a time what's wrong with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go all out and try the Double van Gogh Mod.

LOL

Took me a second to get that one...
Don't give OP anymore ideas
biggrin.gif

Edit: I think I may sig that one
[Ultimate DIY Tweak?]

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

Took me a second to get that one...
Don't give OP anymore ideas
biggrin.gif

Edit: I think I may sig that one
[Ultimate DIY Tweak?]

Haha... much appreciated.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 18
I have big ears and the Audio Technica ATH-A700 are very comfortable, and also are closed. I can wear them for hours.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 18
the right earcup of my AD700s does this. If the placement is off by enough, it rubs my ear. it can be painful during a long listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back