Just got my hands on a Sennheiser 600
Mar 18, 2005 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
Just got my hands on a Sennheiser 600 with Equinox cable for this weekend.

I commpared them to my 20 year old and slightly modded Beyerdynamic DT 990 (600 ohm) version.

First impression:

The mids are pretty strong in comparisson to my 990.
The highs are very rolled off to my 990.
Preassure on the ear with the 600 is higher.
600 has a lot less detail in comparisson to the old 990 due to the lower output on the highs and the higher output on the mids.
Music seems calmer on the 600.

The 990 can sound a little lean and has a lot of higher frequencies.

Not that my 990 are better or even perfect, actually I wished there would be a headphone that takes the pros of both headphones and melts them into one.

I also realized, that the drivers of the 600 actually slightly touch my ears. If I push my 990 as close to my ears as the 600 are, than I get a sound balance that is almost "perfect".

It's amazing what influences the firmness of the earpads have on the sound of the phones.

I remember when I pulled my old 990 out of a box a couple of years ago. The pads were totally flat. Bass was very heavy. Now I use the new fluffy grey felour pads.

I did drive the headphones with a Amity HPA 2 SS headphone amp. Dual mono amp, no op-amps, stepped attenuator and I also hooked the headphones directly to the speaker out of my Conrad Johnson CAV 50.

I know that there are many Sennheiser 600 users on this forum.

What is your impression on the HD 600?
Do I sound like I am not fair to the Sennheiser 600?

Mar 18, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
Not that my 990 are better or even perfect, actually I wished there would be a headphone that takes the cons of both headphones and melts them into one.

I hope you meant the pros of both 'phones, otherwise I'd be really weirded out.
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 9
I have heard my mom's DT990-600ohm and they are much darker than the HD600 IMO; in fact the DT990-600ohm is one of the darkest 'phones I've ever heard. The DT990-600ohm is one of my favorite Beyerdynamic headphones (right below the DT880 and DT531). I still prefer the slightly brighter HD650, as it has more shimmer and still retains the fun of the DT990.

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 9
you know, i'm REALLY going to have to hear an open beyer someday. seriously. 880, 990, doesn't matter. the itch is there.

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 9
Sorry, I did mean the Pros of both cans put together. (I did edit the original post)

Be aware, that I have never listened to the todays Beyerdynamic.

If your mom's DT 990 sound very dark, that means that the ear pads have desinegrated an the drivers are now too close to your ears. putting new pads on will complettly change the sound of them. They should not sound dark at all with new ear pads.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi,

I have the Beyer DT990 (600 ohms version) with new grey velour earpads. I was a long time HD600 user, currently using the HD650's with Cardas.

I agree that the DT990's are very dark sounding in comparison to the HD600's. The HD600's are more comfortable & IMO sound better overall. If they are fairly new, place a book or box between the 'phones to stretch the headband. Nothing too drastic mind, use some common sense.

I find it difficult to listen to the DT990's for a long period, mainly because I feel to make them sing & sound musically balanced - where the sonic picture seems right - quite loud sound levels are required. Many people comment that the HD600's are loudspeaker like in their presentation, for loudspeaker sounds the DT990 wins. I'd love to get rid of the stock curly wurly cable & put something decent on those cans, this might open up the top end a little. Have to have a word with Pinkie.

The DT990's were the darling of the British Hi-Fi press circa 1990, winners of many magazine awards. They have a massive soundstage & are very musical sounding in a kinda 'right' way. Think seventies Linn LP12. Obviously, if you have used these 'phones for a few years a change might not be the best idea, you've become familiar with the sound, the way they fit etc. I think they hold up very well with todays designs & could easily understand some people prefering them. Keep the Senns, listen to them open up as they break-in & enjoy comparing the sound of your excellent 'phones.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi Nigel;

Very interesting your observation.

Comparing the HD 600 and the DT 990 I did find the HD 600 a little dark and full in the mids and the DT 990 sounded a little bright and lean.

Do your ears touch the inside of the DT 990? Mine don't.
With the HD 600 my ears do touch the inside of the headphones.

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi Capt. Z,

I bought the DT990's last year, obviously well & truly used. At the time my ears touched the drivers & the first thing I did was purchase some new pads. I thought the sound lost some of its cohesion whith the grey pads installed. I had a similar experience with my HD600's, after long periods of use my ears started to touch the drivers, replacement pads seemed to be the answer but once again I thought the sound lost some of its appeal. I think one can become accustomed to a type of sound & this becomes their reference. I agree with you that the sound changes with different pad thickness & there will be an optimum point for each individual listener. I'm sure the manufacturers will have taken this into consideration when designing their respective headphones. You can restore some rejuvenation into HD600 pads simply by washing them, this was discussed at some point last year so a search will find the thread. My current HD650's have not reached the drivers touching the ears stage yet & I'm not sure if they use the same replacement pads as the HD600/580's. Probably they do.

The DT990's being a 600 ohm design require a fair bit more power to achieve the same degree of loudness as the HD600's & I would be interested to know your source & amp components.

Cheers,

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back